Homebrew Question Boot.dat in 256GB SSDs

sharkie545

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got some time here and yeah, had no luck here! =Z

I could get the SD working using the Tegra Explorer (for some reason, just by entering on it made the SD recognizable for the "boot.dat" issue but, the problem got into the main games later on

Got some games into the "sxos" folder as usual, and, when accessing it on the Sxos image album menu, it just locks it up, not getting anywhere else from there, forcing me to reset the switch

Maybe it´s a problem with the card´s size (256 GB), don´t know if that´s too big for sxos (which is curious, cause it reads the external drives just fine)

Where did you buy the SD card? Did you check to see if it's a fake? Try h2test. Does boot.dat work when it's the only file on sd card - no games in sx is folder?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why?? This statement is not true at all.
Day one switch owner here with SXOS and 512GB microSD formatted to exFAT. Been using it for awhile without any issues (no corruption no errors).
It is.
Totally randomness that you had luck so far. All your data can be gone by tomorrow or in 10 years. Nobody can tell but multiple devs stated in the past, that it's much more likely to happen with exFAT especially if a homebrew crashes for whatever reason.

DonRamon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I´m gonna check this test mentioned by Sharkie to see if the card is original (the price I paid for it would like tell me it is XD)

The boot.dat and boot itself works fine for the SD even on Exfat, but, indeed, when I put XCI games on the SXOS folder, it locks it up on the album sxos menu, when trying to load the game files

DonRamon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ok guys, it was a counterfeit one it seems, used h2test and it told me it was corrupted passing up the 82GB mark =z

At least with all your help here I saw that this can be used with no problems with a 256GB SD, it´s just a matter of getting a good one to work with

Thanks a lot for all the help guys!

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The problem is that everyone has been stating this as fact for years and no one has ever (correct me if I'm wrong) done any proper controlled experiment for real evidence. It's all anecdotal and spread like gospel because enough people have repeated it that it's believed to be true. I wish someone would just do the research and publish it.
I have a homebrew that patches FF VIII game files to install Polish translation on Switch. In 5/5 cases FAT32 showed no CRC error while exFAT 3 out of 5 (librsync checks CRC of file it saved before continuing and compares them with CRC stored in xdelta diff. If they are not matching, librsync throws error).

This was enough for me to completely resign from exfat.

Probly I would get better results when using fs instead of libc...

Last edited by masagrator,
Reactions: Hayato213

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol