Hacking Boot a modded Wii U game without CFW?

cucholix

00000780 00000438
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
When I dump any Wii U disc and install it with WUP installer it doesn't need CFW to boot.

HOWEVER if I unpack the same game with WU Decrypt then mod "content" folder contents ONLY, then pack with nuspacker it won't boot at least I start a CFW first.

Why is that?

I use this bat for nuspacker:
Code:
java -jar NUSPacker.jar -in "C:/in" -out "C:/out" -encryptionKey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -encryptKeyWith
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
pause

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx = legit game ticket
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY = Wii U common key

Last edited by cucholix,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think is possible to install a wii u game on the system as a mod. Honestly I would prefer a file manager. It be easier to install smash mods on the system, most mods are just update data so it works even with the disc. But games without any update data to mod, most likely need a actual install back up of the modded game to the system. If only the system had a homebrew file manager. :unsure:

I managed to install a modded uncensor backup of tokyo mirage sessions to my wii u and it works fine. Though I didn't play very long before i just stopped altogether.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

cucholix

00000780 00000438
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I managed to install a modded uncensor backup of tokyo mirage sessions to my wii u and it works fine. Though I didn't play very long before i just stopped altogether.
Same here, that's not my issue though, the problem is that it requires CFW, even when I didn't touch the code folder, only content, and it's the same region as my Wii U.

Last edited by cucholix,

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is just a guess but maybe we don't have all the keys to make it "legit" so that's why it needs CFW. It's not a matter of editing it, just repacking it is is enough. I'm no expert though

cucholix

00000780 00000438
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This is just a guess but maybe we don't have all the keys to make it "legit" so that's why it needs CFW. It's not a matter of editing it, just repacking it is is enough. I'm no expert though
AFAIK there are only two keys, the game key (ticket) and Wii U common key.

Last edited by cucholix,

cucholix

00000780 00000438
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hey @cucholix , can you install the game and use ftp to send your modded files?
Hey man :P, ftp is so unreliable on my end, not sure why, probably my connection is unstable, the problem is it corrupt even the smaller files (bootSound/bootTvTex/iconTex, etc... the only files secure to transfer are the xml ones) now the files I need to transfer are worth 1 to 10gb at least :c

Last edited by cucholix,
Reactions: wicksand420

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hey @cucholix , can you install the game and use ftp to send your modded files?
I was about to ask this.

Considering contenthax is a vulnerability where files only get checked during install, it should be possible to mod the game after it was being installed, and still work even without a CFW.

Reactions: wicksand420

cucholix

00000780 00000438
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I dumped the game ticket with tik2sd, so I used that as -encryptionKey parameter, what gives? Is that useless?

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Basically a Wii U game disc is 100% legit and universally so for all consoles with Tik, Tmd and all.
AFAIK NUSpacker cannot make a legit thing, even with all the right keys and so on. I could be wrong but just as baseline modifying and repacking a game always needs a CFW.

And yes, using the ticket is kinda useless if you modify the game - anything at all, since the keys and so on are made to authenticate the game installation as a whole. I am not a technical guy to the max and I only pretend to understand all the interconnectivity of a Wii U but basically it is like you made a CRC32 of the game, as a whole. Then you modify something and that CRC32 will not work as a whole anymore.

Kinda something like that. Until someone comes with a Wii U file manager (which would be cool but hey) - FTP is the only way. Good luck.

- Adding:
Reason why FTP works is because it seems Wii U has an oversight in the content checkups. I think it checks for the files but not file sizes once the title is installed and run, or something like that. This is explained better in HaxChi thread which takes advantage of this oversight in Wii U title authentication system; modifying content of still legit NDS emulator title, exploiting the emulator program itself through modified ROM package, and payloading into Haxchi loader.

Last edited by Sumea,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1