RoXuS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Huy guys!!

I bought an used Switch lite to practice soldering.

I managed to solder the picofly completely and the "No SD Card" boot + OFW boot were ok so I reassembled it completely.

After that I had a blue screen in OFW boot and a black screen after inserting the SD card on hack boot...

I reassembled the console and noticed that the MAX77812 chip was damaged in the corner, I broke my needle while replacing the CPU cover and as a result I must have damaged it at that time.

Do you think this problem could cause a blue screen?

PXL_20240226_120336339.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Huy guys!!

I bought an used Switch lite to practice soldering.

I managed to solder the picofly completely and the "No SD Card" boot + OFW boot were ok so I reassembled it completely.

After that I had a blue screen in OFW boot and a black screen after inserting the SD card on hack boot...

I reassembled the console and noticed that the MAX77812 chip was damaged in the corner, I broke my needle while replacing the CPU cover and as a result I must have damaged it at that time.

Do you think this problem could cause a blue screen?

View attachment 422363
That's a buck regulator, if it's faulty whatever it powers will not get power or could in worst case get the wrong voltage if the buck regulator is shorted internally.
Blue screen occurs when communication between the chips fails completely IIRC, which would be the case if the chips aren't getting power.

The Switch Lite is not really good for practice, you should always practice on something cheap that you don't mind breaking.

As that is a BGA chip, you have created a difficult repair for yourself. You will need a hot air station, and some luck.

RoXuS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's a buck regulator, if it's faulty whatever it powers will not get power or could in worst case get the wrong voltage if the buck regulator is shorted internally.
Blue screen occurs when communication between the chips fails completely IIRC, which would be the case if the chips aren't getting power.

The Switch Lite is not really good for practice, you should always practice on something cheap that you don't mind breaking.

As that is a BGA chip, you have created a difficult repair for yourself. You will need a hot air station, and some luck.
Really, thx for your quick response!!
Yeah I get the Switch lite for 50€ in France so it's "ok". It's a shame because it was really in good condition... Here the price is more like 90/100€

And yes I'm aware of what I now have to do :sad:, I just wanted confirmation of my error haha, shame on me.

I bought 10 of these components, I already have a quality heat station with a lot of Flux, I'm going to practice on a USB key or on an old motherboard before doing it on the switch, I've never done soldering on component.

My main error was that I haven't a good tools to open CPU cover, what do you use?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Really, thx for your quick response!!
Yeah I get the Switch lite for 50€ in France so it's "ok". It's a shame because it was really in good condition... Here the price is more like 90/100€

And yes I'm aware of what I now have to do :sad:, I just wanted confirmation of my error haha, shame on me.

I bought 10 of these components, I already have a quality heat station with a lot of Flux, I'm going to practice on a USB key or on an old motherboard before doing it on the switch, I've never done soldering on component.

My main error was that I haven't a good tools to open CPU cover, what do you use?
I have an iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit. It's pretty much the most indispensable set of tools ever for disassembling, repairing and modding things. I mainly use the plastic opening tools, guitar picks, and plastic spudger when I need to open something. And the screwdriver set of course. You can get china made versions for cheap, they're just not durable. For this particular thing, plastic spudger might do the job.

RoXuS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

I change the chip with my hot air station, works as expected, thx for your help!

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hey guyz