Hardware Blue screen after overclock to 3.8Ghz

pmk010

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Gigabyte Z77 D3H motherboard. Itel core i7 2600K proccessor which I have overclocked to 3.7Ghz stablely. Then as normal I went to 3.8 and that is when about 4 minutes in the screen froze and then turned blue displaying something about a memory dump. I tried increasing voltage but it didn't work. The temps were fine from what I could see and online most could overclock to at least 4Ghz before any problems. I have an arctic 7 pro rev 2 cpu cooler.

Can someone help me. It is my first time overclocking.

pmk010

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
How did you overclock it? What multiplier, voltage and temperatures did you see?
I used the BIOS to overclock it. The multiplier was at 38 and the temperatures where aroung 35 at idle and when running prime95 they were at around 55. The volatge was at the factory set voltage, I tried increasing it to 1.220 and then even 1.350 with no avail.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Temps seem fine and you don't need to increase the voltage much for an OC under 4GHz. Sounds like either something is being picky with the BIOS or a flaw within the CPU.

I don't have enough OC experience to help beyond that without having the system in front of me (I rely on intuition).

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as Intel are concerned if it runs at stock speeds then it is fine. Some chips just won't over-clock, it is the luck of the game.
One thing to check is make sure the base clock is set to 100.

pmk010

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as Intel are concerned if it runs at stock speeds then it is fine. Some chips just won't over-clock, it is the luck of the game.
Okay, checked the base clock, all fine. I suppose I should be happy with 3.7. I only use it for gaming and general tasks :(

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, checked the base clock, all fine. I suppose I should be happy with 3.7. I only use it for gaming and general tasks :(
See if this helps http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/4 but you are probably stuck with 3.7.

pmk010

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
See if this helps http://www.bit-tech....core-i5-2500k/4 but you are probably stuck with 3.7.
Will try it tommorow. After a quick reads it mentions something I found on another forum but didn't try which is to put the BCLK over 100mhz. Will try that as well. Thanks, hope it works :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm