Homebrew Question Blocking the switch from reporting to Nintendo?

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if there is a list of DNS domains and IPs that we can block to prevent the switch from contacting Nintendo?

So reports get sent to a local IP (my pihole in this instance)

I don't care for online play, BUT I want to use homebrew stuff like the appstore etc...

If I can block the correct ips on the network I won't have to worry about other people accidentally making the switch dial home either.

obtainr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why don't you download Simple DNS and then set it to inspect log mode. Power on your switch you'll know exactly what the Switch tries to look up.

Or wireshark, fliddler and report your findings then tell us if every game is consistent? Performing the same look ups, request for either an update, patch, error report, going online etc.

Reactions: SodaSoba and ATofix

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't you download Simple DNS and then set it to inspect log mode. Power on your switch you'll know exactly what the Switch tries to look up.

Or wireshark, fliddler and report your findings then tell us if every game is consistent? Performing the same look ups, request for either an update, patch, error report, going online etc.

I was hoping there was a list pre compiled, but if that's the case I'll have to learn some new things (which is fine)

Is there a way I can connect the switch to think it's online but prevent anything from reaching the internet?

I've never used wireshark if I'm being honest so it'll literally be learning to walk before I jump.

obtainr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I was hoping there was a list pre compiled, but if that's the case I'll have to learn some new things (which is fine)

Is there a way I can connect the switch to think it's online but prevent anything from reaching the internet?

I've never used wireshark if I'm being honest so it'll literally be learning to walk before I jump.
Well if you use Simple DNS it'll use the coimputer Simple dns is installed on to do the look ups then you'll have a log of all the Name entries.
You would want your computer to not be able to resolve things but much rather just lookup everything to a broken DNS server.

The switch will verify if your internet is working and say cannot ping past the internet stage ignore that and let it cancel out do not cancel it yourself. Then restart the switch next round it'll show the wireless signal on.

You can look at all the logs from then on.

Or do it hardware level connect it all up then shut down the DNS server on your Router to a wrong ip address that cannot do look ups such as loop back address or just local subnet coimputers.

Nowadays with all the hacks requiring website or internet to inject scripts/payload on it would be wise to know your network 101s

Last edited by obtainr,
Reactions: CymraegAce

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Last edited by cearp,
Reactions: SodaSoba

obtainr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There you go then, there's a list already but still do a check if not already done so to see if anything has changed. Also trying out different games made with different SDK versions etc to see if they have updated or altered the list. Maybe it got mentioned in the forum but best to double/triple check with things like these.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Amazing thank you!!

There you go then, there's a list already but still do a check if not already done so to see if anything has changed. Also trying out different games made with different SDK versions etc to see if they have updated or altered the list. Maybe it got mentioned in the forum but best to double/triple check with things like these.
Will do, I think you are correct it's a good thing to check and I'm always willing to learn new things so it's an excellent start

hellogbatemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Why did not anyone use that to know what is likely to ban us?

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I'm able to use the switch appstore and everything else and the main Nintendo URLs are blocked via pihole

Attachments

• IMG_20180627_185607.jpg
    IMG_20180627_185607.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20180627_185658.jpg
    IMG_20180627_185658.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 345

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Rye would get shot at sight.