OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
I was really disappointed that ign.com completely ignored Blazing Angels, so I went out and purchased it and reviewed it myself at varpness.com. Anyway, I still would like to read a review on it, other than my own. So does anyone know of any other place that has taken the time to review the Wii version of this game?

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nice review. I might look into the game based on what you had to say. But splash pages = gross.
smile.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you're on the subject of it I picked it up today.

I was curious about two things:
1) What is your choice of control setup and why?
2) Taking pictures...what the hell with that first mission. It says to use your secondary button, I hear the snap, but it never registers the pic as taken of those 3 test boats before going to the mainland.

Any comments on that?

I'm using the default control so far, but I'm sorta mixed on it and thinking I may want to try just using the wii controller alone. I find for some dumb reason the tilt sensor on the nunchuk isn't so nice about turning as I think it should be as sometimes it just won't bank over enough.

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
for those of us who haven't had a chance to play it and haven't played the version for the other platforms, you wanna break it down for us? I'm a big flight simmer, and I'm looking at this seriously.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure thing.

I've got it up to the battle of midway part 1 so far.

The default control is nunchuk-arcade, but you can choose also to only use the main controller, or instead go with the main as your main rudder/banking control (controller-arcade.) There is also either controller-sim I guess that makes turning more realistic or something...I dunno.

Basically what you have here is a great campaign mode where in a squadron of 4 (you control) you go up against the germans and japanese in the major conflicts of the war from around 1940-45. Using the control I use (default) the nunchuk if you pivot your hand one way or the other is just like a flightstick, your analog up/down is gas/brake and then left/right selects target or nearest threat, oh and C/Z are your 1/2 weapons. The main controller then is used to zoom a camera into your target, give wingmen orders, and 1 and 2 do various things as well such as landing gear and things. The control works pretty damn good, pretty nice, not perfect, but that's porting for you but I imagine if someone did their setup with a made for Wii setup the stick would be more in tune with being like a real plane moreso.

Visually the game is a mixed bag...ground targets and in air stuff is highly detailed, looks sharp, terrain and non-military targets are just average, last gen (any of the systems suffers that part though.) Audio is pretty sharp, dunno if I'd call the music memorable but it's nice, and sound effects are good.

The only part I find kinda stupid are the added nonessential side stuff like 1on1 Ace battles because they magically get stronger bullets and aircraft armor which is hardly 'ace' more just 'cheapass.' And then there's this other timed bit where you need to take down 12 guys in roughly 2min, each kill buys like maybe 10sec, so it's less enjoyable and more of a panic which sucks. These modes though unlock little things like 'ace' art for your plane if you earn it on that type and other little non-essentials. The way the main game stages are laid out, most are very welcome to doing a replay and are worth the bother. The better you do also in stages you can earn a medal if you're damn special, but if you're just very good you can earn 2 more craft to use freely in any stage you like as a prize. I'd say the game is 7.5-8 area, a great start, could grow if they did it right or suck if they get too idea happy and overkill on it.

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow... this game has a REALLY inaccurate flight model. The plans don't slip during banked turns so you cant "plummet" onto your target. Couldn't figure out rudder controls either... lets hope heatseeker is a little more realistic in the physics department.

EddyB

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't like this game at all, i think the controls suck and the graphics look bad, there's no speed at all in the game. I would go for Heatseeker, thats a nice game, ashame there's only a
mad.gif
FrEnCh
mad.gif
version

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP