Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Blade Recommends! Sideswiped
B.R. Issue #2
Blade Recommends
Here's the second in a series that I'll be calling Blade Recommends! This'll be my little mini-project on the Temp, which will probably last until Another World gets the full revival of the original GBAtemp Recommends. I'll be posting a new one whenever I feel like it, which would probably be very often.

If you're wondering why I did one immediately after the first, it's because of my complete impatience and because I'm very bored right now and looking for something to do. Hope you actually give it a read and comment and perhaps give some criticism.

Today, I'm recommending Sideswiped. This game is a very hidden gem in the DS library. The reason for its lack of popularity is the fact that it is only available from online order, and that it somewhat seemed like shovelware when it was first released. This is largely in part to the shitty font that they used which was almost retro-like. However, this game does not disappoint. It provides solid and addictive gameplay. This is basically the equivalent of Burnout for the DS (well, there was an official Burnout for the DS, but that sucked really hard). It involves crashing into cars, destroying cars, making cars explode and the like. It's the most mindless fun I've had on a DS game so far.

The game is definitely one of a kind. The font, the gameplay mechanics, the Engrish announcer, the sound effects, the hilariously stupid text, (New York, a place watched over by an angel? WTF?), and the music all give this retro feel. The game is surprisingly entertaining. The graphics and presentation are also good (especially the slow motion replays), but those don't matter all that much when it comes to this game. It's just fun.[/p]
Blade Recommends!

Sideswiped

A.png
B%20(1).png
C.png
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plsf1bBfM2c[/youtube]​
About said:
Buckle up! It's guaranteed to be a bumpy ride. Sideswiped is an all new arcade style racing game for the DS. Go city to city earning cash for causing destruction and mayhem to your opponents and anything that gets in your way. Race down the streets earning points by crashing into your opponents and causing the maximum amount of damage!
gt5687.png
#4446: Sideswiped (USA)
Genre: Racing
Developer: Recom
Publisher: Majesco
Dumped On: 19/11/2009
ROM Size: 128Mbit[/p]
Release Thread
Guild's Review
Order at Amazon[/p]

Sausage Head

Lord Sausage LXIX
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sideswiped is indeed a fun game.
When it was dumped, I said to myself: "No. I don't want Arcade racing games. I want realism".

Couple months after:
It's my favorite racing game.
After a mayor microSD cleanup I left the game.

Until some weeks ago, I started playing it again.
First-person view is awesome, especially in destruction races.

However one thing that's less great is Instant mode, which does not have customization and is unfair most of the times.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is such a great game that no one expected to be so awesome. Easily the best racer on the system.

It's nice to see you dig up my old review too
smile.gif

EDIT: There's a few other "dark horse" DS games out there. Assassin's Creed II DS is surprisingly fun. It's kinda like Sonic the Hegehog meets Prince of Persia with some basic combat and stealth elements. Surprisingly fun and it's also one of the few DS games with a rather large amount of voice work... Not great voice work, mind you, but it's still there. I liked it a lot.

Also a few others people often forget like Chronos Twin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.