Black Screen...

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Raki, Jan 17, 2009.

Jan 17, 2009

Black Screen... by Raki at 4:40 PM (862 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Raki
    OP

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Heya,

So I was playing some Crysis this afternoon and had shut down my PC just like normal...then I wanted to boot it up and the screen instantly went black after the boot sequence of windows (XP, so I couldn't the the desktop, just the low quality images of the bios and the loading screen).

I fear my graphic card may have been toasted (it is now about 3 years old) due to crysis demand...or would this more be a failure of windows?

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Well it being after the boot sequence of XP... it could be ur graphics card but I wouldn't say that just now. Try booting in safe mode, remove the driver of the vid card then boot into full XP, different video card, your card in another machine, etc.. Also disable the reboot on crash option if possible (might give you some more insight in the problem).

Btw an idea that just popped into my head, maybe the resolution is too much for your screen hence the blackscreen but not reboot (I assume) (could have been changed by anything really)?

Cheers,
    Scorpei

3. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    try putting in the xp repair disc and see if that helps

4. Raki
    OP

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    my video card in another PC is a problem...I have no other PCI-E PC [​IMG]...I may have an old Riva Nvidia card which may be PCI, but could be AGP as well. then...how do I boot into safe mode in XP? xD F8 at the loading screen?
    thanks for your advice!

5. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Black screen usually means a RAM, BIOS or CPU fault, seeing as your BIOS screen pops up I would guess its probably a problem with your RAM. If you have more then one RAM module try removing them individually to check if one has failed.