Black Screen on SafeA9LHInstaller

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Reaga, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Reaga
    OP

Reaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    Followed the guides, got my N3DSxl down to 9.2, and am trying to run the application from the HBL, but when I load the app I see the touchscreen go red, then both screens go (and stay) black.

All the designated files are there from the guide, I went through the entire prep section meticulously copying files, so all required files should be there.

2. Petraplexity

Petraplexity Fidget-Spinning Spicy Memelordâ„¢

Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    Over There
    Press SELECT. Wait about 10 seconds, then power off your 3DS. Turn it back on, and you should have arm9loaderhax installed.

3. Reaga
    OP

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    Ok it loaded that time but claimed OTP.bin doesn't exist. Not sure what may have happened to it.

4. Reaga
    OP

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, just triple-checked the guide, it tells me to skip part 2 (the downgrade to 2.1) if I have a new 3DS, and part 3 doesn't go into dumping otp.bin on a N3DS. It just says (after the SD card prep which I quintuple-checked) to run the safe installer. So no idea where in that process I was supposed to obtain the otp.bin for my system.

5. Petraplexity

Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    Over There
    EDIT: Ignore this post, was ninja'd

Last edited by Petraplexity, Oct 13, 2016
  6. Reaga
    OP

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    Edit: Just saw your ninja'd.

7. Petraplexity

Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    Over There
    Well, I've only installed A9LH on a New 3DS once, before the OTP-less method came out. After rereading the guide, from what I gather, it should just work, and not need your OTP. I honestly don't know what the problem is. I suppose you could keep trying, but I, personally, would just get your OTP and use that method. It adds steps and makes it more complicated, but it is almost guaranteed to work, since it's tried and true. Or wait to see if somebody else can help you.

Actually, after doing further reading on this, and since you're having an issue with this method anyway, just do the 2.1 CTRtransfer method. Apparently, the OTPless method is mush less safe (only easier) and not guaranteed to work on all consoles. If you need any more help doing the 2.1 downgrade, just ask :)

8. Reaga
    OP

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    I'd considered that. I guess I can try.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The guide still mentions O3DS/2DS for the specified files. I'm not sure if there will be an issue since I'm on a N3DS, so I'll keep trying (worst case, keeps shutting down) unless someone else can figure out why I'm getting this error when attempting to OTP-less method.

EDIT: OMFG, IM AN IDIOT.

Since I had used this section previously to mod my 2ds for the system transfer downgrade, I had re-used some of the files. What I FORGOT to do is get the New-3ds compatible version of the Safe Installer.

Mother fucker.

Last edited by Reaga, Oct 13, 2016
    Petraplexity likes this.
  9. Reaga
    OP

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    Ok, final question: Putting the original NNID back onto the target 3ds. I made a disposable one to purchase FieldRunners, but I'd like my old stuff back

10. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    This will restore purchases: you need to un-link the garbage NNID from the current instance of the 3DS. You can do a system format or a tiny format and the re-link the desired NNID vie system settings -> nintendo netork id, then choose existing.

However saves are encrypted via movable.sed so you would need to inject those from the origin 3ds via a system transfer or dump/inject of said file. I would do a system transfer prior to formatting, since that will re-link your NNID. may have to wait 7 days tho...

11. Reaga
    OP

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    I did the format, I used JKSM to get what saves the app wouldn't freeze on (the only major hit was Pokemon Picross, it'll take me months to redo that), so I'll be restoring through JKSM back ups after I redownload the games.

At the time I wasn't sure if a format would affect my CFW, but now I know better.

el_gonz87 likes this.