Black Screen on Most Games - Tried Everything!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by evacx13, Jun 28, 2015.

1. evacx13
    OP

evacx13 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    Hey All,

New member here but I've been reading plenty of your helpful posts to try and resolve the black screen I'm getting on most games.

I installed a modchip on the day I purchased the Wii but over the years along the way I have also used the softmods, all games were working fine up until I added a few more games to my drive now 90% of the games will give me black screen on USB Loader GX, WiiFlow, USB Loader CFG.I have tried differnet versions of Loaders to rule this out.

I have tried Modmii and installed as a fresh softmod, still no joy, I have manually updated ( i think ) most of the IOS cIOS etc still black screen. I have verified the ISO and also tested on PC using Dolphin, they work. I have tried 3 differnet USB HDD including a USB STICK.

I find it very strange that everything was working spot on until i added new games???? What is even stranger it that I HAVE A MODCHIP installed?!?!?

Any help on this would be very very much appreciated as i've tried everything ( i think ).

See syscheck below:

Syscheck Info

2. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    Have you also updated your backup loader(s)?

3. evacx13
    OP

evacx13 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    Yup, updated all loaders and then even tried downgrading them after to check and still no luck :(

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Does my syscheck look OK??

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Is your HDD WBFS, FAT32 or NTFS formatted?

5. evacx13
    OP

evacx13 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    Always been WBFS from the beginning. I did test FAT32 by trying a black screen game which does play on the dolphin emulator on a FAT32 drive and still got black screen?

Last edited by evacx13, Jun 28, 2015
  6. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Did you try verifying your WBFS partition with a backup manager? It may have gotten corrupted/crosslinked.

7. evacx13
    OP

evacx13 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    Hi GreyWolf, not tried that yet but I will do tonight. I didn't think it would be that as some games are working?? I even copied a black screen game from the WBFS to a fresh FAT32 drive to test and still black screen so I ruled out any HDD problems and come to the conclusion that the problem lies with the Wii Setup? I'm also thinking of opening the Wii, removing the modchip and starting a complete fresh if I still have no luck :(

8. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I have heard of problems with the WBFS partition scheme with certain tools/loaders causing games to end up with the same sectors crosslinked or just overwritten so it's possible. If it used to work fine and nothing does now that could certainly point to a filesystem or hardware issue.

Did you copy the games onto the FAT32 drive from original backups or from the drive you're having issues with?

Also, I'm not an IOS expert but I don't see anything in your syscheck that should be causing this.

evacx13 likes this.
  9. evacx13
    OP

evacx13 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    Thanks for your input, very helpful.

I did copy the ISO from the WBFS drive to test on the FAT32 drive but what I find interesting is that before I tested the ISO on the FAT32 drive I ran the ISO on the Dolphin EMU on PC and it ran/played perfect ??
    With the above in mind do you think it could still be the drive as the ISO ran perfectly on the EMU ??

Good to hear about my IOS, glad there is nothing obviously wrong with them.

10. DaMan4169

DaMan4169 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2009
    United States
    Well if you've used different drives with different formats playing on different versions of loaders on the Wii but that same game transferred to a computer will work on Dolphin, then maybe try different cIOS versions after a quick drive check.

You have the v10 beta 52 which is built off the v8 cIOS, try using the v10 beta 53-alt which uses v9 as a base. If v10 b53 is acting the same way then go to v8 or v9 but nothing older.
    They tried some things with the v9 that made a few more drives work but at the same time caused issues with others. Then used that v9 to make the v10 beta 53-alt version while using v8 to make the v10 beta 52.
    All 4 can be built with Modmii classic. With Priiloader installed to block updates, there really is no need to max out the version numbers of your cIOSs.

Your modchip has (almost) nothing to do with USB loading, if you were to burn an ISO to disc then your modchip would allow it to be played using the official IOS the game calls for. Maybe try one to see if your drive and modchip are still working.
    If your modchip fried the DVD drive board then you won't be able to use USB loaders either. The drive doesn't have to be fully functional but the Wii has to be able to see there is a connected DVD drive board. Also, I guess when the drive board is fried, you are unable to load official channels so try loading any channel made by Nintendo.