Hacking Black screen after launching CFW (emuMMC)

neontiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm using an unpatched Switch running on 4.1.0 OFW, never connected to the Internet, installed anything, toggled any settings, it's literally brand new.
My SD card is a Sandisk microSDXC 128GB Class 10 U3 (Nintendo Switch version), formatted with FAT32 and a 32kb cluster size.
Following the guide (switch.homebrew.guide) I was able to boot into hekate, create all the necessary backups and an emuMMC after partitioning. What I noticed during partitioning is that the second (red) slider regarding emuMMC (RAW) gives a maximum option of 29GB denoted as "29 FULL", after that there are "2x" variants of all values equal or lower than this. Keep in mind that I've used the sdsetup file bundle with "Recommended Defaults".
After going to back to the initial menu and selecting Launch -> CFW (emuMMC) I get the Hekate logo but a black screen afterwards with no sign of loading any firmware.
I've tried reformatting my SD card and doing the whole process all over again without any sign of success, same results.
For what matters, when pushing the Atmosphere payload (fusee-primary.bin) I get the Atmosphere logo but also nothing happens after that, similar to Hekate.

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First of all I would recommend using 64kb cluster size, also utilizing MiniTool Partition Wizard, as this solved a similar error to yours in the past for me (can't guarantee this already helps).
Second to that, do you actually use a RAWNAND or file-based? What happens if you choose the other equivalent?

loopout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you solve this? I get the same results, can't boot cfw on emummc, black screen but it seems to be on, because I have to push power 15 secs to shutdown.

neontiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First of all I would recommend using 64kb cluster size, also utilizing MiniTool Partition Wizard, as this solved a similar error to yours in the past for me (can't guarantee this already helps).
Second to that, do you actually use a RAWNAND or file-based? What happens if you choose the other equivalent?
I will try reformatting, altering the cluster size and partition using MiniTool.
I think I use a RAWNAND, if that's what the default option is called when creating a RAW partition to put the emuNAND, right?
Did you solve this? I get the same results, can't boot cfw on emummc, black screen but it seems to be on, because I have to push power 15 secs to shutdown.
I'm still trying to figure it out, will let know if anything works.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using an unpatched Switch running on 4.1.0 OFW, never connected to the Internet, installed anything, toggled any settings, it's literally brand new.
My SD card is a Sandisk microSDXC 128GB Class 10 U3 (Nintendo Switch version), formatted with FAT32 and a 32kb cluster size.
Following the guide (switch.homebrew.guide) I was able to boot into hekate, create all the necessary backups and an emuMMC after partitioning. What I noticed during partitioning is that the second (red) slider regarding emuMMC (RAW) gives a maximum option of 29GB denoted as "29 FULL", after that there are "2x" variants of all values equal or lower than this. Keep in mind that I've used the sdsetup file bundle with "Recommended Defaults".
After going to back to the initial menu and selecting Launch -> CFW (emuMMC) I get the Hekate logo but a black screen afterwards with no sign of loading any firmware.
I've tried reformatting my SD card and doing the whole process all over again without any sign of success, same results.
For what matters, when pushing the Atmosphere payload (fusee-primary.bin) I get the Atmosphere logo but also nothing happens after that, similar to Hekate.
Can you boot CFW on sysMMC?

lieder1987

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to know it is not just me...Have reformatted and reinstalled my Emummc several times. Ill just wait for an update and see how that goes.

neontiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Latest version 0.19.2 (released 4 days ago)?

From 0.19.2 changelog: A bug was fixed that caused a black screen when attempting to boot firmware versions 2.0.0-4.1.0
Thanks!! Although I pay regular visits to the code repos the latest update slipped my attention, problem fixed now.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
I started getting this after the last update, i'll have to check my versions but it would be 10.x firmware. It was fine on 9.x and lower. I just need to reboot a couple times to get emunand to launch sometimes. I'm not sure it's the same issue.

neontiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I started getting this after the last update, i'll have to check my versions but it would be 10.x firmware. It was fine on 9.x and lower. I just need to reboot a couple times to get emunand to launch sometimes. I'm not sure it's the same issue.
For me, using the previous Atmosphere version (it seems Hekate wasn't the problem) I always got a black screen after launching CFW emuNAND having a 4.1.0 OFW.
After updating Atmosphere to 0.19.2 I booted around five times and the two of them stuck after the Switch logo, but overall it seemed to be working fine. After upgrading to 11.0 with Daybreak I no longer face this issue.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is your SD card formatted? And what version of Atmosphere are you on?

linguafreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I followed this guide and tried to launch CFW in emuMMC. After my Switch has shown the Atmosphere and the Nintendo Switch logo, I'm stuck at a black screen. I reformatted and partitioned my brand new and official 128 GB Samsung SD card (UHI I) with TegraExplorer, created emuMMC in Hekate and put the newest Atmosphere files from sdsetup.com on the root of the card but the problem with the black screen remains. My OFW is 4.0.1 - could that be the problem? I don't want to update my OFW. Does anyone have tips how I could solve this problem?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed this guide and tried to launch CFW in emuMMC. After my Switch has shown the Atmosphere and the Nintendo Switch logo, I'm stuck at a black screen. I reformatted and partitioned my brand new and official 128 GB Samsung SD card (UHI I) with TegraExplorer, created emuMMC in Hekate and put the newest Atmosphere files from sdsetup.com on the root of the card but the problem with the black screen remains. My OFW is 4.0.1 - could that be the problem? I don't want to update my OFW. Does anyone have tips how I could solve this problem?
How is the SD card formatted?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc