Black Mesa Source Released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Guild McCommunist, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    [​IMG]

The long-in-the-making fan tribute to the original Half Life game, Black Mesa Source, has finally been released.

The game is a complete, from the ground remake of the first game using the Source engine, unlike Valve's own Half Life Source. The project, in development for eight years, was considered all but dead until a recent resurgence not too long ago, confirming the project was alive and close to completion.

The original game, Half Life, was released in 1998. Its considered one of the most innovative and pioneering games of its time, as well as a major influence in the FPS genre. It follows Dr. Gordon Freeman, a theoretical physicist, as an experiment gone wrong threatens all of Earth with an invasion of aliens of unknown origin.

The game, while almost completed, lacks the "Xen" portion of the game, which is not simply being a level to level conversion. The original set of Xen levels was considered heavily disappointing by fans in the original game, and thus is getting a complete overhaul in the mod. A deathmatch mode, titled Black Mesa Deathmatch, is also planned.

The game is slated for a Steam Greenlight release, but for now the game is playable up until Xen. All you need is the Source SDK 2007, which comes with ownership of any Source game.

:arrow: Source (Contains Game and Soundtrack Downloads)

2 people like this.
  2. Wizerzak

Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

May 30, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Played it earlier and I must it's it looks amazing (compared to the original Half-Life, and even HL2, that is). I haven't got that far through but it's definitely worth playing, even if you've completed the original recently.

And if somehow you haven't played Half-Life, play this version instead of the original, it's better in every way. :yay:

3. Guild McCommunist
    OP

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Yeah, it's very well done. Also the new soundtrack is rather rad.

I played past the whole experiment-gone-wrong thing, there's just some annoying ass first person platforming I suck at.

4. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    I am almost done with the game now (due to the last two chapters missing) but it's soooo good. I like it better than Half-Life 2.

5. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    Is it just me who thinks it'd be really funny if Valve sent the Black Mesa dev team a cease and desist form?

But yeah, this looks cool. I never actually played Half-Life so I'll likely play it this way

6. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    I hate when they put first person platforming into a FPS, reminds me of Turok, completely ruined the game for me.

7. Guild McCommunist
    OP

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Valve's actually helping them Greenlight it. Generally Valve is excellent with their community, from current day stuff like this to the olden days of Blue Shift and Opposing Forces. Hell if it wasn't for the community built around Valve and its games, they would never be considered the huge, influential force they are today.

8. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    I know that :P

Which is why I think it'd be extra funny if Valve canned this. But I know Valve is cool and woudln't

9. Guild McCommunist
    OP

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Well at this point I already have it downloaded and installed so Valve can do whatever they want. Plus it'll be internet immortal now that it's out in the wild.

Also, side note, but I'm hoping this does well. Maybe these guys will consider doing Blue Shift Source and Opposing Forces Source.

10. Covarr

Covarr Sentient Cash Register

Oct 21, 2005
    United States
    Far East of Eden
    #Corrections - the game was renamed some time ago. It is simply Black Mesa.

11. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    This game has completely dominated Reddit's gaming section, so it certainly seems to be taking off.

What the team has managed to accomplish is pretty damn impressive. So, guys, how about that Half-Life 2...

12. qlum

qlum Posting when needed

Sep 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Pirate Homeworld
    I read about it years ago, but I will still not get it till its complete, I hate waiting months for a end, better to just let it slide until it gets finished.

13. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    You don't even need an actual Source game, just the engine will do.
    Just install Source SDK Base 2007 (from within Steam) and Black Mesa can run.

14. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    Waited so long for this :)
    Downloading it now

15. DarkStriker

DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Mar 15, 2009
    Norway
    NIKU!
    I'll wait for the greenlight release and if they do add a price tag i will do this
    *throws money at the screen*
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

16. Guild McCommunist
    OP

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Their Greenlight page says it'll be free as long as you have access to Source SDK 2007 (which everyone should if they use Steam honestly).

17. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    They're most likely just trying to get it on Steam so they can utilize Steam's content download system as well as other various Steam features.

18. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Er, there was already a thread for this?

Anyways I've got the official torrent running, on and off.

19. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    I almost feel sick as I go through the game, looking at ALL the work they're doing... for free. I rather it have been like $5 bucks, just so that I could feel better about playing this. Just gonna donate for sure, they deserve that.

20. DarkStriker

DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Mar 15, 2009
    Norway
    NIKU!
    Well i guess if it makes a big hit valve will most likely do the same to what they did with CS.