Bill Maher

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by bi388, Jun 3, 2017.

1. bi388
    OP

bi388 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 29, 2015
    United States
    So for those who don't know, Bill Maher, a talk show host on HBO, is under fire for calling himself a "house-n----r" as a joke while interviewing Ben Sasse on his show. He is now under fire for his comment, and many are calling for him to be fired. HBO has condemned his language, but has not done anything else. Now obviously this falls under freedom of speech, and comedians push the line on what is and isn't ok to say. But what does everyone think, is this too far? Are the complaints against him valid, or is it just comedy? Should HBO fire him?

2. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Between him and Kathy Griffin, comedians can't get away with anything these days. But seriously, that was stupid of him. I don't really have a strong opinion of this, he's always been kind of a douche, and he's said some controversial stuff in the past, so in a sense this isn't anything new. Just, whatever with him, he's fired, fine, he's kept on, fine. There's other stuff to worry about really. One douche's slip-up is kind of nothing. And this isn't a political thing, a douche is a douche, liberal or conservative.

3. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    People are such safe space babies.
    Oh boohoo he said a word. Who cares. He wasn't using it hatefully.

Don't even like the guy. It was a bit dumb of him though given todays society of intolerant morons getting professionally offended about absolutely everything.

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    First, I feel like this video relates to the topic on hand

So actually watching the joke, it was in rather poor tastes, but I also think people are overreacting. He's made far worse comments in the past and no one's batted an eyelash.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  5. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Attempts were made by the Jewish media to end the careers of Dog The Bounty Hunter, Paula Deen, and Hulk Hogan all for using the n-word, some of them in private. So will and should Bill Maher somehow be held to a different standard for some reason?

6. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    I think the whole idea of a single word being so verboten, especially for some but not others depending on the speaker's race, is absurd. But they burned Michael Richards' (Kramer) career to the ground for this, and if Bill Maher couldn't learn from that then he's stupid enough to deserve whatever comes of it.

7. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    who honestly cares anymore, hell my friends call me "nigger" just to piss me off, even though i'm white, but yeah, saying that on Live TV is a great way to get your ass on the fire, or get some publicity.

8. Blood Fetish

Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nov 3, 2002
    United States
    Maher is a professional agitator. No different than Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh. I am neither surprised nor outraged.

9. smile72

smile72 NewsBot

Sep 23, 2010
    ???
    Hmmm...I feel bad for Kathy Griffin...but for Bill Maher...I don't know if I care enough or at all