BF 2142 And Spyware

How do you feel about the spyware in BF2142?

• I hate it!! Im returning my game!- Oh wait i cant...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just deal with it, spyware is EVERYWHERE!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone
smile.gif

Well, I just bought BF 2142, and extremely excited, I opened the box only to see a disclaimer that by installing the game, you automatically agree to install spyware (although they dont call it that
tongue.gif
) To collect information about your surfing habbits, and playing habbits etc. Now, My first instinct was to Return it to the store, but the policy is that they cannot take back games that have been opened (of course- the serial) So what sucks is that now im deciding what to do, just suck it up, and take the spyware and ADS in the game (yes there are Ads, i saw a online post in a forum with a picture of a PEPSI Billboard)Although I dont think Im going to return the game (demo was good until there were so many damn disconnects)-I am going to call up EA games, and see what they have to say..
tongue.gif
I know they wont care what i say, but maybe other people are doing it too...

I know some people are saying "just deal with it", but this is the first game that ive actually bough for pc in a while, and it sucks that i have to install spyware along with it. I think People should have the option of participating in the collection of information, when installing the game.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
The problem with letting it slip is that it'll let EA get away with putting ads ingame. When other publishers and developers see EA can get away with it they'll start to do it too and pretty soon all our games that we paid for will have ads.

Say no to Ads!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been hearing things about this and such practices are seemingly quite common of late.
I hope at least this will not be a starforce style system killer.

My advice: leave it the hell alone and wait for some kind soul to patch it (I understand the game is of quite a high quality so all is good).

Some companies even saw the error of their ways and released patches and new versions of their own accord.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know what some companies are thinking about doing is including advertising in games like MMOs and such. That way they wouldn't have to charge a monthly fee for playing online. If that's what it takes I'm all for having a Pepsi can on a table or a billboard with a car on it if I don't have to pay to continue playing the game I bought.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know what some companies are thinking about doing is including advertising in games like MMOs and such. That way they wouldn't have to charge a monthly fee for playing online. If that's what it takes I'm all for having a Pepsi can on a table or a billboard with a car on it if I don't have to pay to continue playing the game I bought.
True, id be up for that, but without the tracking of information-even if it is "confidential"
unsure.gif

jumpman17

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11300

This is really being overhyped.

Here's what it does:

* Checks IP address to make sure you don't get ads of some Europe only product if you live in America.
* Records time of day each time you start the game
* How long you looked at the ad
* What angle you looked at it
* How far away from it you were
* What type of ad it was (billboard, megaboard, video stream)

That's all. No snooping around the files on your harddrive to determine what you view on your off time on the internet.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorry guy BF 2142 it a great online game up 46 players but i find it pisssed me off. it took to time just to reload your gun (i kept being kills like this even change smaller gun which is useless to combat them while they holding a bigger gun then your) and i get very confusing controlling the car and robot, if you move your mouse alots and you get confuse turing around + moving..

5 sec to reaload = dead

jumpman17

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Um, don't you normally die in all games when someone is shooting at you with a bazooka and all you have is a pistol?

falcon64z8

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem with letting it slip is that it'll let EA get away with putting ads ingame. When other publishers and developers see EA can get away with it they'll start to do it too and pretty soon all our games that we paid for will have ads.

Say no to Ads!

I totally agree with you.

Also, I just think 2142 is just a mod of bf2 and Im not paying 50 bucks for it. Plus, bf2 should be patch more. You know whats funny, I went to my local fry's electronic the other day and they had three fulled rows of bf2142 and some on the side. It seems no one bought any copies and they even mark down the price to 40 bucks, lol. Also I saw some guys in their 40's talking about how this game came with spyware, it surprise me that they know about it...

On more thing check out this link, its g4tv debating the ad situation:
http://www.g4tv.com/pile_player.aspx?video_key=13498

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Um, don't you normally die in all games when someone is shooting at you with a bazooka and all you have is a pistol?

yeah, couse you die like that, if you can't run & hide or dodge
if the game hold more ammo and someone with a bazooka 50/50 i could kill him.

. the pocket knife - so useless by the time i took out my pocket knife your dead. (can't i beat them up with my gun?)
. if you get kill, it took 10 "slow sec" to get back in the game. (waste of time)
. if you want to reload your gun halfway used - you'll lose half of your ammo.. (why it can't they add up?)
. and if you call for medic it took 1 sec to heal "1%" percent life ( how long it take full recover, if you life is 40% = 60sec = 1min)
. jumping or drop from 5 feet wall or hill you'll injure your self 2% (it just stupid)

I like halo better thing act quick and fast combat....is there any other game like this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With regard to my earlier comment, I was under the impression that this was star force take 2 not just a measely advert.
While I do not like adverts I have become reasonable adept at ignoring them and any of our US bound friends should be even better (for those not in the know many US channels see fit to play 3 adverts in a half hour show), OK for the last year I have been only watching DVD's so as to avoid the TV tax so I am less used to adverts.

. the pocket knife - so useless by the time i took out my pocket knife your dead. (can't i beat them up with my gun?)
. if you get kill, it took 10 "slow sec" to get back in the game. (waste of time)
. if you want to reload your gun halfway used - you'll lose half of your ammo.. (why it can't they add up?)
. and if you call for medic it took 1 sec to heal "1%" percent life ( how long it take full recover, if you life is 40% = 60sec = 1min)
. jumping or drop from 5 feet wall or hill you'll injure your self 2% (it just stupid)

I was under the impression realism was desired here so:

*If one has to drag out a knife in combat you are generally screwed (or you are a real world Sam Fisher)

*Well that just takes it, I have never seen a game with a 10 second respawn before... Maybe on a frenetic shooter like quake or unreal but not on a more strategic game like this.

*Realism: it I throw out my magazine/clip half empty I am damn well going to loose the rest of the ammo (although I would prefer to see you get said magazine/clip back later in life)

*I might be inclined to give you that one, double your given percentages and I will ignore it though, it also provides some time to reload your weapon and come up with a strategy.

*realism once more: if I jump from such a height and am not well braced I will certainly be slowed down some.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only place would be instagram.