Better loading time with a flash drive than external HD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blazingwolf, Mar 31, 2009.

1. blazingwolf
    OP

Member blazingwolf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm going to be purchasing either for the new loader released. I was thinking of going flash drive as the read times are much faster than an external HD's, though you pay much more per gig. Then I thought, would the flash drive choke on the USB 2.0 throughput anyway? It doesn't matter how fast it's being read if it's being transferred at the same USB 2.0 speed that an external HD is loading from. Does anyone know if there would be no difference due to USB 2.0 bandwidth?

2. Saintphillipe

Newcomer Saintphillipe Member

Panama
    i won't even take in consideration the loading time. for both most likely will be pretty darn good and both over 6x and u won't even see the difference for wii games.
    now, i would personally go for HDD with enclosure or already External HDD over a flashdrive.
    simple reason is the lifespan of it. Flashdrives will die waaaaaayyy earlier than HDDs after enough writes.
    I dont think you'll want to stop playing anytime soon. i still have my old SNES. so due to lifespan i would bend the decision to HDD side.

a while back before the wii i used to hddisoload for PS2. however the hdd was internal for the tick ps2 i used.
    the ps2 Utility USBExtreme had a website with compatibility list of harddrives. basically is a list of hdds used by users with it.
    i know ps2 and wii are 2 different things. however this is just a list that kinda works for the purpose (External HDD for gaming through a USB port). this is the link to the list directly.

kudos and merry shopping

http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_compatibility.asp

3. blazingwolf
    OP

Member blazingwolf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah I'm going external HD, the performance gains aren't there.

4. Saintphillipe

Newcomer Saintphillipe Member

Panama
    Darn... well, ill try latter on google for decent external hdding...
    either internal + enclosure or full external. if i find something nice ill let ya know
    however i remember back in the days maxtor and seagate hdds were the nicest thing to use with ur ps2.
    ill do some research latter anyways.