Better Laptop or Desktop Computer?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by xMekux, Apr 26, 2010.

?

Desktop OR Laptop Computer?

1. Laptop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Desktop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Apr 26, 2010
  1. xMekux
    OP

Newcomer xMekux Advanced Member

Portugal
    I seeing many people buying new pcs so i decided to buy a new one with the money i saved =)
    But i can't decide what pc is better =/ Laptop or Desktop(post u reasons)

2. fristi

Member fristi GBAtemp Regular

Guinea
    i preffer desktop computers :-D

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    No.

Tell us how much you have saved up and exactly what you're going to be doing with it. If there's games, name them. Also tell us how portable you like to be.

What's best for other people may not be best for you.
    YOU will be the one using the new computer, not anybody posting here.

4. xMekux
    OP

Portugal
    Uhm.... i saved about 2000 euros =.= in about 3 years
    I want a gaming pc =O(its very normal xD)
    About games.... There are so many i cant say all
    I thinking about buying the alienware M11 with most expensive things that it can be customize =D
    any one got experience with it =P?
    and about portability.... i think will be better with it xD(i like laptops more but never used desktops so.... i thought this =X)

5. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    What I would have done is get a laptop because of it's portability.
    While travelling take it along as it is.
    But when at home use some extra peripherals to make it feel more comfortable and Desktopish.

But if you tell us what you are gonna use it for will make it easier for us to help you.

6. xMekux
    OP

Portugal
    Uhm... I am a Hardcore Gamer+Movies and Animes Watcher

7. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    If you are looking for a game machine, get a desktop. The modularity of stationary machines makes them more upgradable, you need a massive case for decent cooling and devices that have the power for modern games rarely are that portable anyway.

8. Rydian

United States
    Please don't. That's just getting ripped off. The Price-Performance ratio is not a straight line, on the medium side you could be paying $100 for a 100% improvement, but at the high end you could be paying $100 for a 5% improvement. You need to pay attention to what you're actually paying for. The M11 may be nice and small, but it's tech specs are not nearly as good as a normal alienware laptop you could get with your money. The best processor it offers is a core 2 duo (which is four models away from the best line), and the best graphics card is a GT335M, while that's pretty decent, you'd expect more than "pretty decent" from an expensive alienware.

The Mx15 would be better for you.
    Spend £80.00 to update it to the first Core i5.
    Spend £20.00 to upgrade the LCD resolution.
    Spend £59.99 to upgrade the graphics card.
    If you want it to be usable without a cable plugged in, spend £50.01 on the battery upgrade, otherwise it's not going to matter.
    Then you end up with a £1,209 laptop that can play any of today's games at decent quality.

However, if you want to play new games on as high of a detail level as you can, the Mx17's default graphics card is good for that, base configuration is £1,500.
    Yes, it offers an upgrade to dual cards, but that will make the laptop weigh more, be a bigger drain on the battery (you will not be gaming on the battery, let's put it that way), and produce more heat, making it even more uncomfortable on your lap and increasing the risk of heat damage to the parts, and just plain old overheating.

I do suggest getting a normal good-quality (non-gaming) laptop (such as one of lenovo's business models) for portability and just buying a desktop for the gaming. Have you ever tried to play an FPS on a laptop? Takes a lot of the fun out of it.

9. xMekux
    OP

Portugal
    Found it =) Alienware Desktop Aurora with ICore7 930 and more things that i add for =X $2,445.00=1 835.17226 Euros so 2000 its enough

10. Hazrul Azam

Newcomer Hazrul Azam Member

Malaysia
    dekstop!
    my laptop is boommm about 7 month only because of 'DoTA', not other powerfull graphic games..lol

11. Rydian

United States
    Please list the exact things you add so we can make sure you're not getting ripped off, as not all the upgrades are a good deal at all.

12. JohnLoco

Member JohnLoco GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    Get a mini PC [​IMG] small to carry around lans etc, and big to have at home [​IMG]

13. xMekux
    OP

Portugal
    Uhm.... Good Idea.... i think this one that i using will use only for travel some specs : 320 gb 2gb with nvidia gforce 240m
    And buy that Alienware Aurora *-*
    I will love graphics card taht it got the XFX HD 5970 =P

14. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Desktop is your best choice if you want to play the newest games. Otherwise, it's not a bad idea to get a laptop if you are happy with playing games that are already a couple of years old, or want to play them outside.

15. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    Thing is that with a laptop you can't upgrade the parts after you buy it so In a year or two you might want to update it but you'll be stuck with what you have. Since you have enough money I suggest you buy a desktop for gaming and a netbook for high portability.

16. IgiveUgas

Newcomer IgiveUgas Advanced Member

United States
    If you're a hardcore gamer, definitely desktop. I prefer to build my own instead of buying pre-built machines. That way I know exactly what goes into the machine and am not getting ripped off with cheap memory, motherboard, etc. Nor am I overcharged.

17. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Whats with the infatuation with alienware [​IMG]

18. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Gaming system, if you're after that so it can do the best (or most) of the best a laptop is just not for you. Sure it will be for a bit, but ultimately they're damn near impossible to upgrade because you can't pop and drop upgrade cards/chips like a desktop can.

If you're up to most of anything outside of top of the line gaming then a laptop is best.

19. Rydian

United States
    I'm not up to date with any european computer shopping sites that have a good variety, or any other companies that allow on-site customization and ordering.

20. blackacidevil

Member blackacidevil GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Well Ive give my 2 cents about this. Desktop. Im using a laptop right now thats downstairs with the wii and TV, it sits down here. Ocassionly Ill need to look something up and its a huge song and dance. Realize that no matter how good the laptop vs a desktop you simply cant compare them, Laptops are designed and made propriety.

Since SPACE / yes the physical kind, Yes, about space, chips by all companies, go small and mobile. Since your not limited on space via hardware, its easy desktop.

My thoughts on laptops

I think the touchpad is the worst invention since Virtual Boy (NES), its like everyone just gave up and figured this is good enough. Its horrible, its the worst input device, I could throw this laptop Im replying on now through 3 windows, it may still work. But i can do so much so much faster with a desktop. (Just NOW, there was two pop up ads in the right bottom cornor of my screen. Moving the touchpad is a pain in the ass, I feel like to close those two windows I was playing Trauma Center)

Dont buy a laptop, it should be your mobile/comfort computer , well comforts a joke.

Desktops ? What are you looking for, just do a local computer store that doesnt sell pre-packaged computers or already built (like in bestbuy/futureshop) theres a reason they are selling them fast and cheap, theresw bout 200,000 of them produced.

Youll never get a more satisfied feeling like building your own, well if you dont know how to assemble a computer, 50$ will probably cover it.

So does this mean it costs more ? Absolutely not. I do want to ask do you have a computer or your computer is your main device you use. Well assuming you are on Gbatemp, we talk about wii/etc/consoles. If no computer, Id be in heaven just having one theres lots of fun and good times.

Well hopefully I dont get banned, I realize my answers are a lot different and I seem wierd. But hopefully you all see more of me.

And Commodore 64 was the dream computer, its just untouched. I had a 300 baud modem that snapped into the slot. This enabled you to connect to a BBS which by default it was packaged with Quantum Link, so it dailed long distance and it cost a lot of money back in the late 80's. Quantom Link was renamed AOL

KK im all over the place