Better Cobra FW for CECHA?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by codezer0, Dec 24, 2013.

1. codezer0
    OP

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    So we know now that the cobra files have been integrated in a few CFW's... and as much as I've been very pleased with Rebug 4.46, I am really wishing I could get on with the cobra firmware and be able to finally retire my chipped PS2, if you know what I mean.

But that being said, I know the first was based on an early build of rogero, and those are famously buggy, and don't play nice on the phat systems. SO with that said... is there a better CFW to use that provides the Cobra stuff?

2. Bobbybangin

Bobbybangin GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    The Rogero/Cobra 4.46 CFW has worked flawless. Any Cobra/Hybrid 4.50 will have key mapping issues when playing PS2 isos. Habib has a Cobra 4.53 CFW that also is buggy. I also have a BC console. Mine is a CECHE01. I'd say the Rogero/Cobra 4.46 is the best Cobra CFW available.

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=64846

3. codezer0
    OP

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Rogero is/has been infamously buggy for phat/BC systems though... it certainly has been, which would explain why Rogero is so quick to revise so frequently.

4. Bobbybangin

Bobbybangin GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    I've used just about every Rogero and every Rebug FW after spending about a year on Kmeaws 3.55 FW CFW. I never had much of a problem with them. I had more problems with Rebugs 3.55.2 CFW than I have with any other. Of course, Rogero's was the first 4.xx+ CFW to exist. If it was buggy, it was because he brought it first.

Magsor likes this.
  5. elgarta

elgarta GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2012
    United States
    Cobra/Rogero 4.46 works fine with my CECHA, the only problems I have had were with controller syncing on startup, but that was because I was using Webman, which has problems with this (since I need to go over to my PS3 and turn on my deskfan to keep it cool anyway I don't mind getting up to turn it on). And I did have some PS1 issues but that was happening on Cobra 4.30 too.

The issue with PS1 games is related to region issues. Some PAL games being played on an NTSC system with Cobra will cause weird speed-up/frame skipping during games, and afaik the only fix around that is to manually change the region of said PS1 game, actually changing it to run at the NTSC speed. It does cause a small amount of cut-off at the bottom of the screen, but it's only tiny. If you have a TV that runs at 50hz AND 60hz apparently it doesn't happen, but some TVs are like mine and don't have this.

And it's only SOME games, the ones that don't have both 50hz/60hz modes on the disc. PAL versions of Overblood 2, Final Fantasy VII and Legend of Legaia caused that for me. I just went the manual route though. Motor Toon Racing 2 and Final Fantasy IX PAL didn't have these problems for me.

You should be more than good to update to Cobra/Rogero 4.46. It is an amazing firmware. There is the Habib one based on 4.50 or something but apparently it is lacking some of the Cobra features since they weren't able to be simply ported.