Best wii for softmod

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by hr21, Jan 22, 2012.

Jan 22, 2012

Best wii for softmod by hr21 at 10:32 AM (1,472 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. hr21
    OP

Newcomer hr21 Member

United Kingdom
    Hi all, gonna get a wii, but which one is the best? I hear White can do everything? I pref want to use an external hdd, I got an 80gb one I would like to use.

Any ideas or advice? Much appreciated. Also do I need to buy one with a specific firmware on it?

2. Fyrus

Member Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

France
    It's not a matter of colours, it depends on which date this Wii was sold.
    Older Wiis are better protected against bricks due to Bootmii@boot2 and are able to read burned discs.

3. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    The older the Wii, the better. At this point, it's extremely unlikely that you would get a Wii that will run everything, just get one with GC ports so you can run DIOS-MIOS Lite (GC backups from an SD card).

4. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden

Fixed it for you :P
    Also, NO other color than White could ever play backups etc, as black/red was introduced after the d3-2 dvd change. Im not sure about bootmii@boot2, but I suspect its the same there.

5. JoostinOnline

United States
    The first reported cases of the boot1 fix (not including Korean Wii's, which all have the vulnerability fixed) were mid-2008.

6. hr21
    OP

Newcomer hr21 Member

United Kingdom
    so should I go for a white one primarily? Thanks

7. Brainy142

Member Brainy142 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    at this point you wont be able to find a wii that can do all the hacks, as far as I know all of them can do usb loading, just watch out for the models without the gamecube ports as you wont be able to play gamecube games on them or use gamecube controllers.

8. JoostinOnline

United States
    If you can get a white one, go for it, but don't be too hopeful.

Other than backup discs and a few brick recovery options, there won't be a difference in what hacks you can apply, so no worries there.

9. pwsincd

Member pwsincd Garage Flower

United Kingdom
    Maybe look to buying a second hand wii from somewhere reputable , more chance of it being "older" i guess.

10. hr21
    OP

Newcomer hr21 Member

United Kingdom
    Anywhere you would recommend looking ? I could get a black one but it can't do backups on discs? Which games don't work less on a disc? I'm trying eBay currently.

11. pwsincd

Member pwsincd Garage Flower

United Kingdom
    i got one from http://uk.webuy.com/ as they have one on my high street think i paid £50 for an unboxed white wii with 12 months warranty(not that this would be valid from here or new from ninty if your intending to mod it). The web site prices differ from the instore prices as it depends on who has sold them what in your area. (thats if you have the option at all locally).

12. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    If you got to a gamestop or other game retailer that sells used system then you can demand to see the serial number of the wii before you buy it. print the list of serial numbers from this thread..
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/205180-bootmii-boot2-wii-serial-numbers/

If they refuse to let you check the serial numbers then they lose out on a sale, and their boss won't like that.

I've bought about 30+ wii's for my friends and I've always went to gamestop. After the first 5 times they were like "WTF", and after that they shut their mouths because they know that I wont buy a console if they dont show me what I want, and they are not willing to lose a sale over them being stifflers.