Best way to play Zelda 1/2?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by zeello, Feb 25, 2014.

1. zeello
    OP

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    I was wondering, should I play the GBA version or the 3DS eshop version? (for Zelda and Zelda 2)
    The 3DS versions are only 5 bucks each last I checked. The GBA versions seem insanely overvalued, but I could just sell them afterwards, so technically their cost = cost of shipping.

I guess the reason I made this thread, is to ask whether the GBA version is worse in some regard. (such as FOV) Is it worth putting up with? By the way, it will be my first time playing through the games.

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    the 3ds version are the NES version, good thing is the have save state(and if you need you can 3ds notes for stuff)

the gba and nes are the SAME GAME
    just some updated text

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    This may sound obvious but the _BEST_ way to play these games is to get yourself a NES, a CRT and the original cartridges. Out of those two options though, the 3DS VC's are probably better, if only for save states.

TruthDragonReshiram and 2ndApex like this.
  4. zeello
    OP

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    Would I really use save states though? That would just ruin the experience.

Thomas83Lin likes this.
  5. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    I wouldn't use savestates. They really make the experience feel, for me, cheaper and less important. They turn the game into feeling like an automated chore, and that is not why I would be playing a game.

As for what's the best way, for Zelda 2, whatever you want as there's like two options beside a fan remake.

For Zelda 1, I could never get into the original game--it's not that it's an old game, but like Metroid, they're open in the sense that there's a whole lot of nothing to explore, making the world feel pretty meaningless (for me). However, playing the SNES remake was surprisingly nice--the game felt a little more fleshed out aesthetically, which made exploration fun. I think some new stuff was also added and arranged a bit.

6. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    honestly, they're not really worth the money either way. use an emulator to try out zelda 1 though. just forget about 2 completely

7. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    The GBA versions have the screen slightly stretched due to the changed aspect ratio. I don't know about the eshop versions.

8. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    The first Zelda game is just like the first Metroid: cool game in the 80s, unplayable crap nowadays. If you can stand awful maps, controls and the most unfair deaths you'll encounter with no savestates, play the original. If not, get the 3DS VC version.

gokujr1000 likes this.
  9. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    *Snip picture*

There's a difference between "unplayable crap" and the game being difficult.

Ammako likes this.
  10. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole

A difficult game is still a fair challenge, for the most part. The first Super Mario was difficult, but Zelda and Metroid were unfair. As a guy who loves the highest difficulties, I don't get why people like them so much.

11. Carnivean

Carnivean STARMAN

Jul 11, 2006
    UK
    The Third and Fourth Quest flavours of BS Zelda are an excellent way to (functionally) play the first zelda's two quests. The second zelda is fine as is if you are capable of thinking and can deal with the dungeons being extremely samey visually.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The best way to play Zelda 2 is to not play Zelda 2. Just sayin'...:tpi:

GamerSince83 and pokefloote like this.
  13. GamerSince83

GamerSince83 West Coast Pimpin'

Banned
    Feb 15, 2014
    United States
    On The Wild Plains of the Interweb...

Some things Can't be Unseen......or Unplayed

Zelda 2 = :wtf:

14. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    And Zelda is neither.

Zelda 2 on the other hand, I don't know how I ever managed to beat that, must've been a miracle. Damn, if I'd known I would have saved it for something important, like getting laid sooner.

15. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I think the 3ds version is slightly better than the GBA version, I think the graphics was a little strange on the GBA version IIRC.

And Zelda 2 is an awesome game! Try it out for yourself and create your own opinion of it. It's one of my favourites just because it is different, hard and has experience points :3

16. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Then don't use save states, honestly I don't use save states, not even with the 3DS's VC games.

17. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Uaing a save state every three seconds is cheap, yes, but using one every once in a while to prevent having to do the entire game over again seems justified to me.

Ammako and TyBlood13 like this.
  18. Ulieq
    This message by Ulieq has been removed from public view by Cyan, Mar 9, 2014, Reason: requested.
    Mar 8, 2014
  19. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Don't forget the Power Glove. :)

20. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I love the powerglove, it's so bad!

XDel likes this.