Hacking Best way to play ds games on hacked 3ds?

Abel_0910

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Im planning on hacking my 3ds when i get a better micro sd but i want to know everything I'll do once i hack it, I've heard that twilght menu++ has sound lag and problem compatibility and that an r4 is better, which way should i go? :huh:

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im planning on hacking my 3ds when i get a better micro sd but i want to know everything I'll do once i hack it, I've heard that twilght menu++ has sound lag and problem compatibility and that an r4 is better, which way should i go? :huh:
Whoever told you that was talking shit. About 98% of ds games play perfectly using Twilightmenu. I personally have tried over 100 games with zero issues

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still waiting on my r4 gold from Aliexpress for 2 months... 1 month no updates... Seller just said the shipping method is slow :/
its a chinese based factory. what do you expect? Especially with whats going on right now. basically everything has came to a snails pace. including simple stickers for car license plates. its awful.

lemonmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the reason why the OP should use twilightmenu++
I already have twilightmenu, I bought a r4 to flash ntrboot onto my broken ds mode o3ds

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

its a chinese based factory. what do you expect? Especially with whats going on right now. basically everything has came to a snails pace. including simple stickers for car license plates. its awful.
Wasn't expecting to be THAT slow, specifically since I got 4 other items from China within 2 weeks to a month,

chromthelitten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwilightMenu++ simply uses in conjunction the nds-bootstrap to access the NATIVE ds playing functionality of the 3ds.
Whoever said it is jank maybe has not looked at Homebrew in a long time.

If you are planning to install LumaCFW on your 3ds one of the nicest CFW features is that you can use a 128GB microSD card (properly formatted) which is still cheaper than a bad flashcart.

There are pros and cons to each avenue of approach. Flashcarts can be pricey to get a good one that doesn't have a timebomb on it.
CFW installs and learning to use CFW properly can be tricky for new people but there are GREAT tutorials out there to help.

TwilightMenu++ (and nds-bootstrap) will let you play any DS game you want. The only issue is enhanced DSi features which even Flashcarts have. Aka Pokemon Black 2. It will play in DS mode instead of DSi mode. To get DSi mode you have to go out and get a real DS cartridge (or a crappy chinese bootleg cartridge that may or may not work).

CFW also has a lot of other perks so it depends what your entire goal is. The state of homebrew/hacks/etc on 3ds/2ds has never been better @Abel_0910 with a ton of advancements in the last few months. If you are going to do CFW anyway, please don't waste your money on a flashcart.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are planning to install LumaCFW on your 3ds one of the nicest CFW features is that you can use a 128GB microSD card (properly formatted) which is still cheaper than a bad flashcart.
exaggerate much bro look there is no way you're getting a hundred twenty-eight gigabyte micro SD card for $5 or $10 usd

chromthelitten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@wormdood Why would you want a "bad flashcart"? Also I just did a fast look on amazon and I am seeing high rated 128gb microsd cards for 18 bucks. But I am dropping it there. I simply expressed an opinion for the OT and dispelled some mythos about TwilightMenu++.

Last edited by chromthelitten,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want a "bad flashcart"?
a bad DS flash card doesn't have less of an ability to play DS ROMs But to answer your question I'll say things like cheat support, save states, and saving space on your 3DS SD card for 3DS games. not to mention that having the media on a physical device allows you to swap it to another 3DS system or original ds or even lend it to a friend, also not all games work without a flashcard anyway...

Please check this list for what games work and do not work from the SD card.

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
TwiLightMenu++ is incredible. And nds-bootstrap, which it uses to run games directly from your MicroSD card, has come a very long way. But even a cheap flash cart is still a superior solution. There are certain games that simply do not run at all on bootstrap or run with issues. Case in point: Tony Hawk is not compatible at all with bootstrap. Chinatown Wars is but the performance is notably worse than the performance on a flash cart. Also, even cheap flash carts will allow you to take real time saves, which are wonderful.

Nds-bootstrap is a technical marvel and will only continue to get better. I used it for years before getting a flash cart and am extremely impressed by and grateful for it. am sure that in another 18 months there will be no need for a flash cart.

For now though, you can have the best of both worlds and put TwiLightMenu on a $7 flash cart (Yes, even one with a time bomb). And one day, when nds-bootstrap is perfected, you can just put your flash cart in the drawer and only pull it out when you need to hack another 3DS.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only game I know that doesn't work with twilight menu, at least last time I checked, is golden sun. you get a black screen. it works with twilight menu if using a flash cart though, just not by itself.

Reactions: chromthelitten

chromthelitten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MarioKartFan Legit. Fair. Reasonable.
@wormdood all good points.

For the games I want to play and the amount of DS games I carry, TwilightMenu++ does it fantastically well for me without sound or lag issues and some nice widescreen support. I like that both sides of the coin have been presented. I don't know DS flashcarts as well as 3ds ones so pricing etc... my bad. Thanks for the edification. Clearly using both is the ccccombo breaker. (sorry for the bad joke)

TW++ & nds-bootstrap get a bad wrap for some reason tho, which is annoying because the development on it has been excellent and lightspeed this year to make it genuinely a pleasant DS experience.

Reactions: BaamAlex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: https://garticphone.com/en/?c=0013ff1238