Hacking Best way to block system updates?

Elvis854

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all!

Being new here and reading a lot of different posts and tutorials about blocking Wii U system updates leaves me still a bit confused. At this moment, what is the best way to block system updates?

I succesfully hacked the Wii U on version 5.5.4E using cold boot Haxchi (exploitable virtual console game method). If anyone could point me in the right direction to block system updates that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is possible but still a bit of a gamble. The last system update was less than 1 year ago.
But that update literally changed nothing

Personally I have no fear of it - but I can see an argument for fear

Reactions: E1ite007

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing that would prevent games from updating and disables online play.
You either get one or the other, you can't play online without being fully updated afaik and how are you supposed to get updates without being updated? The second might be possible, but still.

Elvis854

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You either get one or the other, you can't play online without being fully updated afaik and how are you supposed to get updates without being updated? The second might be possible, but still.
If there is no point in blocking system updates right now then that's what it is. I just leave it, with internet enabled.

Reactions: TeddyBearYoshi

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i hadn’t even thought about blocking updates. Maybe I should though. For some reason I have no fear, unlike the Switch.
Like the 3DS but that’s busted wide open anyway.
Spoofed firmware to 99.99.99 on WiiU or something.
Maybe I’m safe. I dunno. Perhaps I should be more careful.
All I can say is this thread has made me consider why I think I’m safe.
If a 5.5.5 somehow installed and lost me my hax I’d cry for sure.

Elvis854

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi Madridi, thank you for this suggestion. I followed your tutorial and deleted the "update" folder on "storage_mlc/sys/".

After that, I took the test by attempting to update the Wii U on "System settings". It's not giving an error, instead it says that everything is already up to date. That is correct since I'm already on the latest firmware version (5.5.4E).

Can you tell me if this is good or should there always be an error when trying to update?

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Hi Madridi, thank you for this suggestion. I followed your tutorial and deleted the "update" folder on "storage_mlc/sys/".

After that, I took the test by attempting to update the Wii U on "System settings". It's not giving an error, instead it says that everything is already up to date. That is correct since I'm already on the latest firmware version (5.5.4E).

Can you tell me if this is good or should there always be an error when trying to update?
Yes, because you are on the latest update, it wont show you anything. It will only give you an error when there is something to be downloaded.

To check that you did everything correctly. Completely turn off then on your Wii U. Redo the steps, and just make sure the update folder is not there.

Elvis854

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, because you are on the latest update, it wont show you anything. It will only give you an error when there is something to be downloaded.

To check that you did everything correctly. Completely turn off then on your Wii U. Redo the steps, and just make sure the update folder is not there.
Ok, will do that. Thanks for your help!

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can delete the update folder via FTPiiU Everywhere and Mocha
I think the update folder exist in
Code:
root/storage_mlc/sys/
This can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, however it is pretty easy to accomplish.
No need to block the Wii U system update via DNS.

Last edited by RandomUser,

Elvis854

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can delete the update folder via FTPiiU Everywhere and Mocha
I think the update folder exist in
Code:
root/storage_mlc/sys/
This can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, however it is pretty easy to accomplish.
No need to block the Wii U system update via DNS.
Yes I did that and it should be fine now. I like to have system updates blocked but still have an internet connection on the Wii U. So great solution!

Last edited by Elvis854,

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Deleting the update folder is really the best way.
- The process is reversible.
- DNS blocking wont let you access eshop or play online. This can.
- You can do this on the latest FW
- There likely isnt a new FW ever. So a simple backup plan for the piece of mind will serve us all well

Reactions: Elvis854

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.