Hacking Best USB Loader?

Teal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. What do you think is the best USB loader and why? I've been using the uLoader casually, but looking get another loader as my main as I'm getting more backups.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/w/index.php?title=USB_Loader_Releases

From this, I think Conf. USB Loader, WiiFlow, and USB LoaderGX may be the best. I'm leaning towards GX, but too bad it doesn't load from SD cards and more problem posts about loaders seem to come from GX for some reason. I use the SD slot often, so looks like I have to make a partition and forward with GX? Oh, it also has NAND emulation, like uLoader, which is good.

From experienced users, what is your opinion on what works for you?

Also, as another note, what HD format do you use? I've been using WBFS on SD, but for a HD, I think FAT might be a lot more convenient.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi guys. What do you think is the best USB loader and why? I've been using the uLoader casually, but looking get another loader as my main as I'm getting more backups.

http://wiki.gbatemp....Loader_Releases

From this, I think Conf. USB Loader, WiiFlow, and USB LoaderGX may be the best. I'm leaning towards GX, but too bad it doesn't load from SD cards and more problem posts about loaders seem to come from GX for some reason. I use the SD slot often, so looks like I have to make a partition and forward with GX? Oh, it also has NAND emulation, like uLoader, which is good.

From experienced users, what is your opinion on what works for you?

Also, as another note, what HD format do you use? I've been using WBFS on SD, but for a HD, I think FAT might be a lot more convenient.
GX is idiot-proof, WiiFlow is the most stable and probably the prettiest and Configurable is... well, configurable - it has lots of "options".

I currently use WiiFlow due to certain issues I had with GX that may be resolved by now but after I found Flow, I never turned back. I used to use Configurable as a back-up loader but now it just collects dust.

For the HDD: FAT32 if you're planning to launch Homebrew stuff from it, if it's only for games then NTFS, although many will disagree with me. Personally I just don't like cutting games that are 4GB+ into halves, so yeah - NTFS FTW.

beenii

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
for the external HDD i would suggest using NTFS over FAT, because there are several games bigger then ~4.5GB (if i recall corectly), which is too big for FAT. also, i want to use the HDD for my PC aswell, so NTFS is more convinient.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used CFG (Configurable USB Loader) for a time, but since they haven't updated recently since v70 I think, I switched to USB Loader GX and personally I think they are both amazing loaders!

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Configurable USB Loader is the most stable game loader currently, if you really just want to play wii games with no more features go with it. Wiiflow is some well not very stable one but looks good and got some great features. USB Loader GX is a pretty stable one and looks alright, it's updated pretty often. It has pretty much the same feature list as Wiiflow.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
for the external HDD i would suggest using NTFS over FAT, because there are several games bigger then ~4.5GB (if i recall corectly), which is too big for FAT. also, i want to use the HDD for my PC aswell, so NTFS is more convinient.

That's not a problem, the standard wbfs manager splits the files on FAT32 automatically as far as i know. Also, with FAT32 you have the option to use Sneek+DI or Uneek+DI, in case you run into the one incompatible game right now.

Reactions: 1 person

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country

That's not a problem, the standard wbfs manager splits the files on FAT32 automatically as far as i know. Also, with FAT32 you have the option to use Sneek+DI or Uneek+DI, in case you run into the one incompatible game right now.

And with fat32 you can also use homebrew on it (afaik, pretty much only the usb loaders supports ntfs), have 100% compability on any PC with a usb slot, can use it for other consoles (like ps3 or 360), and even use it with your phone!

Teal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's great that USB loaders support more HD formats now. I might go with FAT32 as a good compromise. NTFS is great, but I think I can live with split files and the homebrew option seems great.

Does anyone use USB powered HDs and does it work without problems? I've heard some of the larger HDs or the more demanding enclosures doesn't work, but I have a modest 250GB 2.5" drive with a tiny Rosewill pocket portable enclosure lying around.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone use USB powered HDs and does it work without problems? I've heard some of the larger HDs or the more demanding enclosures doesn't work, but I have a modest 250GB 2.5" drive with a tiny Rosewill pocket portable enclosure lying around.

It depends on brand... Some self-powered HDDs needs extra usb power (by using an "Y"-cable).
Most externals of a decent brand works just fine with just a single usb plug though.

Personally Im using a 500GB Lacie Rikiki usb2.0 and have yet to have a single hick-up with it.

Teal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the great responses. WiiFlow definitely looks nice. I think I'll try out GX first since it's easier to use, then move on if I get bored of it. Looks like it isn't too much trouble to use multiple USB loaders.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm using postloader on neek2o. Not the most advanced in options or graphic design, but it has full nand emulation (neek2o is a way to emulate your entire wii on your hard disk) and plays games, channels and homebrew. In short: pretty much everything. B-)

A WBFS-partition is the way to go if you want to use outdated guides, if you like windows to format your drive everytime you plug it into your PC or like random, unrecoverable crashes*.

FAT32 is the only way to play homebrew, so it's also the only "all in one" solution (of course you could partition your drive into multiple parts, but why make it hard on yourself?). Oh, and make sure to use 32kb cluster size if you ever plan on using a full nand emulation (linky with info).

*I'm a bit cynic here. There are advantages to it, but for the average user, it's not worth it.

I'm amazed this urban myth still lives with people. Large and multilayered games were playable on FAT32 from the day it was introduced (the file splitting wiipower mentions always worked like a charm), yet somehow there were always people who insist that there was an issue.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
CFG user from day one.

Now I use usb loader GX. If you want the latest features and like to to have the same gui as the Wii has it's good choice.
I prefer usb loader gx for these reasons:

* Nandsave emulation , not more cluttering you Wii's memory as games can be saved right to sd or Hdd with this feature
This requires a nanddump. You can dump your nand right from usb loader gx, takes only a minute.
*All option avaiable from the gui. Parental controls, screen ratio, cios selection, global options, games specific options etc everything. This loader has the MOST options BUT stll manages to stay clear and never become cluttered.Download covesr by clicking on the box image from the gui. Optional cover downloads right from the gui.
Full theme support.
*Channel emulation. You can use the a copy or the same nand you dumped with USBLgx to install games to with showmiiwads. You can then load them just like you would load a Wiigame. It's all selectable from the gui. Compatibily is'nt 100% due to cIOS problems, not loader isseus.
*file locations, drive options etc are very easy to set up, all via the gui to your own taste.
* As for now it has the highest compatibilty for Wii games. Driver SA is 100% playable on this one.
* Great details section for games. real time 3d coverview en GTB info.
*has it's own channel/ homebtrew loader
*Has it's own official forwarder channel.
It really "feels"professional" like something Ninty could have come up with.
It feature are mind boggeling, but it never gets complex because it all optional. You can go simple with this loader BUT you can also go right to the nitty gritty beta shit with this loader.

My kids use it to just play games ( I can easily put a parental lock on the options and offensive games with only ONE click. )
They can never get to the options, delete games etc. It's all selectable before hand what you want to have protected.
Set it up once and you are done!

Then when I get home from work and I want to mess around/ test with the beta version, advanced options, I just unlock the gui with my Password and I'm ready to go.
Just an awesome achievement.
There's no need for a separate configurator. EVERYTHING is accesable from the gui in an easy understandable way.

So basicly you can let it behave just the way you want it to.
BUT it's definitly the most powerfull and feature filled loader of them all.

Reactions: 1 person

SamTheEvil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My wii dont load PAL games so its not always that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.