Gaming Best RPG Game (No FF)

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
gamerankings doesn't do the the reviewing,they sum up the scores from all the other sites and magazines and present it to you.

but yea...sometimes some games are rated too good or too poor

ihiphopanonymous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go with Dragon Quest V, Chrono Trigger and both Shin Megami Tensei games: Strange Journey and Devil Survivor though both aren't the traditional FF formula type RPG....one being a 1st person dungeon crawler the other being a strategy based rpg. Dragon quest is more of a traditional RPG.

cruznik71450

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really liked Radiata Story (I think that's how it's spelled), Dragon Quest is a great series as well DQ 5 is my Favorite of what I've played, Mother series 1,2+3 are all great. Diablo 1+2 is great. That's some that aren't FF. Also Fable, Pokemon, Super Mario:RPG, TWEWY, Kingdom Hearts, Tales Series, Xeno series. Should I go on? Or is this DS only?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I like both Ultima 5 and Moraff's World, both of which work on the DS via dsx86 (moraff's world might not work depending on which flash cart you use, hopefully the next version with an updated libfat will fix that). As for native DS games, I like the Dark Spire though it might be too hard for some people. Note that while it is fairly hard, it is much easier than Wizardry. For example, the Angel Wing spell in The Dark Spire returns you to town with no penalty while the Loktofeit spell in Wizardry requires giving up all your items (including weapons/armor) and most of your gold. You can also save at almost any time outside of combat or other events.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we're not limiting to DS games...

Mass Effect is a great RPG. I don't care what people say or bitch about, I fucking love it. A great narrative, a great morality system, and much better combat in the second one. I just wish that the third game combines the deep RPG aspects of the first game with the improved combat of the second one. Not to mention the crossover of one game to the next is great.

Knights of the Old Republic is one of my favorites and probably my favorite Star Wars game (outside of possibly Battlefront II). Maybe I'm a sucker for BioWare games, but they make some of the best.

I still gotta give props to Pokemon. I don't care what people say nowadays, back in the day, during the Gold and Silver era, they were awesome. If you had a Gameboy you HAD to have Pokemon Gold, Silver, Crystal, or all of them. It's a game that lasted shit tons longer than most of the freaking console RPGs even. And it's one of those rare titles that works for everyone. Anyone can really beat the storyline and fool around and still have shit tons of fun. More hardened gamers or those seeking more challenge can grind their Pokemon up to level 100 and start competitive battling.

Mother/Earthbound games are also quite good. It's not your typical over-the-top and flashy RPG, it's something very offbeat, something modern, and something you can relate to.

Even though I do criticize Square Enix and all that stuff, I do really like Chrono Cross. I'll take it over Chrono Trigger any day.

pichon64

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uruguay
Don't laugh, but I'm into 'My World My Way' right now and it's pretty funny and addictive. Give it a try:

4598714777_da0c3cc271_m.jpg

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
taken said:
pichon64 said:
Don't laugh, but I'm into 'My World My Way' right now and it's pretty funny and addictive. Give it a try:

4598714777_da0c3cc271_m.jpg
I love that game.

it's quirky as hell, and it does have its charms too. this is like Alicia Silverstone's Clueless, except with swords and sorcery and reality-changing tantrum points.
happy.gif

now, as for portable RPGs that i really really enjoyed, I'd say TWEWY, GBA's Golden Sun series, Breath of Fire II (which is pretty much a classic), Shiren the Wanderer and GBC's Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. oh yeah, Final Fantasy Legend I & II on the old monochrome too.
happy.gif

Volture

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In my opinion, on the DS definitely Suikoden Tierkreis, Magical Starsign and maybe Soma Bringer or Valkyrie Profile.

And on the GBA: Golden Sun 1 & 2 and Pokemon G/S/C, no doubt.

quezcotl

Trophies
XP
Country
felixsrg said:
The best RPG for me is Black Sigil, really enjoyed the old style of the graphics and the battles.

yepp, that game reminds me of chrono trigger, a lot.
however, a warning about that game - and this is not an overexagerating a bit - but, that game can sometimes in the worldmap and dungeons have 3-5 sec random encounters. That's what made me give up on the game. The characters,story and the world itself was great, but I couldn't take it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were actually bots