Best RetroArch Cores?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Reyn_the_Insane, May 6, 2017.

1. Reyn_the_Insane
    OP

Reyn_the_Insane Mega Man Fanatic

Feb 1, 2017
    United States
    OVAH DEAH!
    So I just downloaded RetroArch, and I'd like to know which cores are the best for the following systems:
    NES
    SNES
    N64
    Saturn
    Game Boy + Color
    (No need to tell me the best GBA core. I've had perfect experiences with mGBA)

2. Azgorath

Azgorath Newbie

Newcomer
    May 8, 2017
    In my opinion it's these:

Nes
    Standard use: Nestopia UE Core
    RetroAchievements: Quicknes Core (More compatible with achievements) or FCEUMM Core (more games are compatible)

Snes
    Standard use: BSNES Accuracy Core or BSNES Mercury Accuracy Core (Mercury is faster without sacrificing accuracy).
    RetroAchievements: Snes9x 2010 Core

Gameboy + Color
    Standard and RetroAchievement use: Gambatte Core.
    Now there is a new core called Sameboy and according to the website its extremely accurate so u can try that out if getting achievements aren't ur thing.

I don't use any of the others. If u r interested, There is now Dolphin Core for Gamecube and Wii, VBA-M core if u decide to change ur GBA core in the far future, however MGBA is the best for standard use and RetroAchievements, for sega consoles theres Genesis Plus GX for Standard use and picodrive for RetroAchievements and BeetlePSX for PS1.

Last edited by Azgorath, May 8, 2017
  3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    N64, definitely one of the Mupen cores with GlideN64 as the graphics plugin.
    Saturn, kind of hit and miss, never really used it so I can't say.
    Snes, Snes9x 1.54, Bsnes accuracy is only truly useful for a few games that require dot-based rendering instead of scanline-rendering.