ROM Hack Best programming language

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,881
  • Replies 11
D

Deleted User

OP
What would be the best programming language to write a game text editor with, Java or C++?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Java on DS? Good luck.
For DS, you're pretty much limited to C++ as far as usability and availability of existing libraries goes.
He doesn't mean for coding DS homebrew, he's talking about editing text files for a ROM hack. Presumably he has, or is in the process of, reverse engineering the format of the text files in some particular game and wants to write an editor rather than doing things manually with a hex editor or whatever.

To the OP: If you know any programming languages already, it may be quicker to just use one of them. Otherwise, a scripting language such as Python might be quicker to learn, or Java is also supposed to be good for rapid application development (I'm assuming the app will not be overly complicated and optimization is not a huge issue, so the main thing to think about is ease of development). But it could be quite a struggle to create an actual useful program if you've never done any programming before. I'd advise making sure there aren't any other tools out there already capable of doing it. I think there might also be some text editors designed for ROM hacks with built in scripting abilities to add support for new formats, you could have a look at some of them maybe.

FAST has a bit of a comparison of different language options here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/rom-hacking-programming-languages-and-programming-tools-also-asm.324116/

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
C/C++ or bust in my opinion - they're reliable, flexible, they have plenty of auxiliary libraries to choose from and they're easy to master.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
wait lets review the question...
what is the best? there isn't any best in general

if ur looking for web based - PHP
regular (windows) client based - C#
heavy/fast (windows) client based - C++

IMHO

then again, if u wanna make games in general for pc or web, try to learn about Unity3D engine using design3 videos

Daviex

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For me the best is C#, simple with an exceptional debugger ;)

Else, if you know really better C or C++, or Java, use one of these, there isn't a language
better for those things i think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.