best micro sd card?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by VenomRec, Jun 29, 2013.

1. VenomRec
    OP

VenomRec Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2013
    United States
    What is the best Micro SD card to buy Brand,Class? I'm thinking if i buy a high performance Micro SD card it will last longer due to low performance requirements of the r4 cart.

2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    As I see it, this question is pretty much a moot point to ask. Why? Because you can get a class 10 microSDHC 16GB or 32GB for around 20 bucks, regardless of the brand. Class 10 is currently the highest class rating your going to get on a microSDHC.

You can find them on newegg or tigerdirect easily.

3. stephysanrio

stephysanrio GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    United States
    Miami
    Look i have tried different brands and they are crap....
    I had tried patriot, kingston, among others. The speed is super slow compared to sandisk... I always use class 4 sandisk and its fast when transfering a loy of data anyways.

4. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I can't see you needing class 10 neither. I just use the standard Sandisk micro SD found at major retailers works fine for flashcarts. I have not tried other brands, only Sandisk, because they are the best.

Have you tried to run benchmarks on your microSD cards, just to see what the transfer rate is?

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    A high class won't inherently last longer than a lower one. A decent manufacturer will count more.

6. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    You need a minimum of a class 4 to run games with AP correctly.

7. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2008
    United States
    Sandisk ultra baby! Really can't go wrong with them for performance.

stephysanrio likes this.
  8. schmooblidon

schmooblidon Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2013
    I'd just buy a bunch of cheap unbranded ones. You aren't gunna need something expensive to play a rom, so why pay more. I have never experienced anything negative from cheap ebay memory cards of any kind and I've bought my fair share.

9. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    You may not have, but we see people in here every few days using unbranded memory cards from ebay and they often turn out to be faked (like they'll actually be 2GB but have a 4GB label, and anything more than 2GB is totally lost).

They're not a safe bet.

10. stephysanrio

stephysanrio GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    United States
    Miami
    The transfer speed on those unbranded sd cards are really bad...

11. totalnoob617

totalnoob617 Banned

Banned
    Sep 27, 2010
    United States
    its solid state what can really wear out? nothing
    as far as brand maybe someoen could enlighten us as to who makes what ,cause as with everything else i suspect that there are only a couple of manufactures and the rest of the brands are just resellers who slap their logo on them

12. schmooblidon

schmooblidon Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2013

So false advertising. Would be pretty easy to get your money back.

Waiting a few more minutes and saving a few more quid. It won't affect gameplay, or at most, the tiniest bit longer to load a cutscene.

13. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Unlike what a lot of people are saying in this thread, there is actually a lot of variation between different SD (or micro, or mini, or whatever) drives.

What type of card are you looking for? You said R4, and if it's an original R4 like I have, then it can only handle microSD cards, not microSDHC. That means the largest card you can get is 2GB. There's a thread somewhere on this forum that outlines which ones are fastest. Really just about any will work, but there's one or two games that need the fastest cards to play without lag.

If it's a newer card that can handle SDHC, that means you can have up to a 32GB card. You're also pretty much set for all games no matter which ones you get because they have a higher transfer speed than regular SD cards. Some are slower than others, but no matter what it'll be fast enough for the DS to play flawlessly. So really, the question you need to ask is, how long are you willing to wait to load the ROM's onto the card to begin with? To me, it doesn't matter at all because you only do that once, so I just have a really slow (Class 4) one. If you are interested, the fastest are claimed as being the SanDisk and Samsung brands.

To my knowledge, no cards support SDXC, so you shouldn't buy one of those. See below.

Others may have experienced differently, so feel free to chime in.

14. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    You can actually format a 64GB card (Which is normally exFAT) into a FAT32 format, and flashcarts will read them just fine.

PityOnU likes this.
  15. rooskie54

rooskie54 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2009
    United States
    Flash memory has a finite number of program-erase cycles. Once the limit is reached the device is unusable.

unz likes this.
  16. VenomRec
    OP

VenomRec Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2013
    United States
    Another Question. Dwtechz.com is legit right? It was one of the links on where to buy section of r4ids.cn