Best joycon alternatives for handled mode ?

Keriam

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello guys !

Did someone already have tested some joycon alternatives ?

I owned the first version of binbok joycon with my switch V1 (I dislike clicky noise and dpad) and I would like to buy new joycon for my oled : I would like to have better hand-on than Nintendo joycons (for adults hands 😅), keep rumble feature, RGB led is bonus and of course no deadzone for sticks and a good d-pad.

Any advice ? New transparent binbok ? Nyxi ?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys !

Did someone already have tested some joycon alternatives ?

I owned the first version of binbok joycon with my switch V1 (I dislike clicky noise and dpad) and I would like to buy new joycon for my oled : I would like to have better hand-on than Nintendo joycons (for adults hands 😅), keep rumble feature, RGB led is bonus and of course no deadzone for sticks and a good d-pad.

Any advice ? New transparent binbok ? Nyxi ?

Damn. I love my V1 BinBoks…if you get the next gen ones I’d be interested in hearing your comparison results.

Keriam

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
On my side, i'm not satisfied of D-PAD : i have to press twice on right part to have a movement and i have the feeling that latency is higher compared to vanilla joy-con

I know that V2 is better and there is also new third-party : https://nyxigaming.com/

TheGioGrande

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own the V2 Binbok and for most games the improved deadzones on the joysticks isn't too noticeable but overall I ended up just preferring my regular Joycon with a grip case attached and extremerate D-pad shells installed. Drift has never been an issue for these specific joycon so I guess I lucked out in that aspect.

Keriam

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you have some reference example for grip case and extremerate D-pad shells ? I also come back to regular joy con for non-clicky button but it's a a few small in hands and d-pad is too difficult for combat games...

cluesagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the hori split pad pro. It's nice, great for fps games or anything where you want precise stick controls. No rumble and no wireless play though, and it's big so probably not useful on-the-go either.

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am interesting by thoses models :
- NYXI (reband of Binbok) : https://nyxigaming.com/products/nyx...-pad-with-8-colors-led-for-switch-switch-oled
- Binbok RGB : https://binbok.com/product/bb-ys37-9/

There aren't lots of reviews of those products and youtuber who did it don't have lots of views...any advice ?

I have the fat Binboks, and find them much more comfortable than the stock joycons' tiny sticks and buttons. I play mostly docked, using an Xbox Elite controller with a Brook Xone converter. The best feature of this is the four back paddles (which I map to A & B on the left, X & Y on the right, so I don't need to move my thumb off the right stick to use face buttons), so of course I'm thrilled to have joycons with at least two back buttons.

You *can* map a button from the right controller to the left back button by remapping the screenshot button to e.g. A in Settings then mapping the back button to screenshot. It's less obvious how to go the other way, as there aren't any non-useful buttons on the right joycon. Right stick click, maybe? And this would only be really useful if you needed more than one d-pad direction on the back buttons.

When I have used joycons (e.g. for a more relaxed arm position, as you could have with Wiimote + nunchuk), the Binboks have been pretty good. The d-pad isn't the most responsive, but better than the early adopters' ones before Binbok changed the spacer stickers underneath the directions.

I tried retrofitting a Dualshock 4 d-pad as suggested here: , but struggled to get the central pivot and directions filed down the correct amount to be responsive and not stick. I've put back the original d-pad but kept the DS4's rubber membrane. Another problem is that the original d-pad has some stops that prevent it coming too far out of the case, but the DS4 one doesn't, so it can ride up on the side opposite to the one you press, wedging itself in place.

KiiWii of this forum reviewed the Nyxi-branded version, and I have linked to several other reviews of them under the Binbok name: https://gbatemp.net/review/nyxi-8-led-joy-pad-for-switch.1940/#comment-18795. You might also want to search for 'RGB joycons' as I think Binbok/Nyxi are the only model with light-up sticks.

Some other reviews I found but haven't rewatched in any detail:

mentions some possible problems with the sticks (dead zone, IIRC an angular one that snaps to 45° angles)

Slim version (missing the back buttons; less comfortable as the sticks are aligned with the d-pad and ABXY, as on the stock joycons rather than diagonally offset as on an Xbox controller):

A critical review of the fatter version:

Reactions: binkinator

Chikko312

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I received my Nyxi's...

They sent me the wrong color, asked for black and received white...(didn't care too much anyway, and was not waiting another 20 some odd days)

Like the feel of the controls (fills out my hands).

However,
I do not enjoy the L & R bumpers positioning, feels like a reach for the index fingers. So i set the programmable buttons for that function.
The controllers joysticks have a bigger dead zone than the joy-cons (minor diff. but still getting used to it).
There is light leak at the triggers and while you have a joystick pushed in a direction.
The controls do feel like a cheaper plastic compared to an Xbox/ PS control...

Other than that, still happy with the purchase.
Oh ya, i do enjoy the case for the controllers as well, fits an amount of items.

Anyways,
Hope this helps.

Reactions: binkinator

hyprskllz

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just went through 2 pairs of Nexigo
https://www.nexigo.com/collections/...ad-controller-for-nintendo-switch-switch-oled

4 joycons and none of them have rumble motors to match the other :D 1 extremely strong, 1 strong, 1 ok,1 weak (ofc i know about changing rumble levels)
Buttons feel cheap but it was usable. The cracked version has a pretty decent texture on them.
The rail on left purple one was wobbly.
Both of the right joys have problems with sliding on the grip added in the box.
Joysticks hmmm there was some dead zone but again usable and still better than Tendo.
Returned them because all 4 of them have huge gyro drifts, tested them on pc and in some Nsports games :D it feels like you are playing but in reality, the controller just doing almost random sh*** in fast moves.

Nexigo looks very similar to that Binbok and i read somewhere about the same quality issues with them not even rumble motors for example. Think i will avoid this one too.

I know that this is the handled mode alternatives thread but maybe someone has some good gyro alternatives with full sizes joysticks? :X

Last edited by Lamcza,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use official joy-cons in extremerate shells (d-pad version of course, and my pro tip is to lodge an appropriately sized bit of rounded plastic under the d-pad so it rolls and you can't squish down all directions at once), and a comfort grip (I have the OIVO which is a knock-off of the Satisfye, because the cost of international shipping for the Satisfye is prohibitive). Meets all my needs for comfort and function.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I use official joy-cons in extremerate shells (d-pad version of course, and my pro tip is to lodge an appropriately sized bit of rounded plastic under the d-pad so it rolls and you can't squish down all directions at once), and a comfort grip (I have the OIVO which is a knock-off of the Satisfye, because the cost of international shipping for the Satisfye is prohibitive). Meets all my needs for comfort and function.
Still, the worst thing in joycons are joysticks. Gonna try some gulit ones but i suspect that they are just overpriced standard versions in a nice box.
I order some exrate dpad version and i was wondering if that flat dpad gonna work :D plus maybe you know what are the dimensions of the switch lite dpad that one has a thingy in the middle under it.

brittocx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
IINE (japanese rebrand of binbok) is also good, and have more color to choose. As for the buttons & d-pad, i think it's on par or exactly the same. i like the zelda & arceus themed colors.

Mobapad M6 i think is better as it has mechanical buttons & triggers, better d-pad, and ALPS analog sticks.

hope someone will review the Mobapad one soon :D

IINE is awsome indeed!

warriosbest

Trophies
XP
Country
hmm look at some comment link, i can see they are just brand name changed
to now, many ppl use iine, but goddamn it make switch x2 bigger

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
hmm look at some comment link, i can see they are just brand name changed
to now, many ppl use iine, but goddamn it make switch x2 bigger
Yep, if nexigo has the same shape i can say the non-texture ones are not so good to handle bit slippery, the shape of them is kinda off and it is not helping them. They are not resting in my hand comfortably. When I am holding my Dualsens or Dualshock or even Joycons connected to the switch i can lean them on my hands at the bottom easily and they are not sliding out so i don't need to hold them that tight. But all of this is only my opinion and perhaps i have small hands :o.
OFC Full sizes joystick hell yea huge upgrade :X

That mobapad is interesting it has some different shapes and insides than binbok and the rest of the clones but I am refusing to buy it from china without a return option because you can read about quality control issues in it too plus what if it is not so comfortable after all : /

Last edited by Lamcza,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it