Best free backup software for Windows?

fossda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently using Windows Backup and Restore to backup my C drive to my backup hard drive, but I don't want to have to keep manually deleting old backups. Is there any free backup software that can do backups and automatically auto-purges old backups? Thanks

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows backup suck, I would suggest paying twenty dollars or so and get a copy of Acronis True Image, to make a clone of your HDD just in case something happen.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I ultimately don't really trust anything that's not a plain file copy or optical disc (a full disk/partition image also works but it's more annoying to mount and access, especially on Windows, and considerably less efficient)

Vista/7's backup (and deja-dup for Linux) wrap things in archives making manual (and/or cross platform) restores extremely annoying, which I consider a very serious downside; 8/10's fixed it but it still uses an annoying folder scheme (and, I think but haven't verified, doesn't use hard links to save space wasted by unmodified files between backups)

Apple's Time Machine was the only pre-made solution I mostly liked, and even then it had its potential improvements...

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I have gained good experience with AOMEI Backupper.I use it mostely for cloning,it have also Backup function.It´s a little expensive (60 Euro) but very reliable.

I´ve leave it with "free" software solutions,i don´t need "nail-biting events".:D

Last edited by Alexander1970,

fossda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I ultimately don't really trust anything that's not a plain file copy or optical disc (a full disk/partition image also works but it's more annoying to mount and access, especially on Windows, and considerably less efficient)

Vista/7's backup (and deja-dup for Linux) wrap things in archives making manual (and/or cross platform) restores extremely annoying, which I consider a very serious downside; 8/10's fixed it but it still uses an annoying folder scheme (and, I think but haven't verified, doesn't use hard links to save space wasted by unmodified files between backups)

Apple's Time Machine was the only pre-made solution I mostly liked, and even then it had its potential improvements...
Yeah I really like Time Machine, would love something that does the same on my PC.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently using Windows Backup and Restore to backup my C drive to my backup hard drive, but I don't want to have to keep manually deleting old backups. Is there any free backup software that can do backups and automatically auto-purges old backups? Thanks
macrium reflect

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM