Best free backup software for Windows?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by fossda, Feb 11, 2019.

1. fossda
    OP

fossda GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I'm currently using Windows Backup and Restore to backup my C drive to my backup hard drive, but I don't want to have to keep manually deleting old backups. Is there any free backup software that can do backups and automatically auto-purges old backups? Thanks

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Windows backup suck, I would suggest paying twenty dollars or so and get a copy of Acronis True Image, to make a clone of your HDD just in case something happen.

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    I ultimately don't really trust anything that's not a plain file copy or optical disc (a full disk/partition image also works but it's more annoying to mount and access, especially on Windows, and considerably less efficient)

Vista/7's backup (and deja-dup for Linux) wrap things in archives making manual (and/or cross platform) restores extremely annoying, which I consider a very serious downside; 8/10's fixed it but it still uses an annoying folder scheme (and, I think but haven't verified, doesn't use hard links to save space wasted by unmodified files between backups)

Apple's Time Machine was the only pre-made solution I mostly liked, and even then it had its potential improvements...

4. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

I have gained good experience with AOMEI Backupper.I use it mostely for cloning,it have also Backup function.It´s a little expensive (60 Euro) but very reliable.

I´ve leave it with "free" software solutions,i don´t need "nail-biting events".:D

Last edited by alexander1970, Feb 16, 2019 at 9:44 PM
  5. fossda
    OP

fossda GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Yeah I really like Time Machine, would love something that does the same on my PC.

6. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

GENIE TIMELINE is for i know the CLOSEST free application to Apples Time Machine.

7. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2017
    United Kingdom
    macrium reflect