Hacking Best Flash Cart for my DS

asianlonerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so the story is i had/have an R4 up until now. I'm still using it even though the springs broke. I use tape to hold down the micro sd card. LOL
Well today my micro sd card just go corrupted. Computer can't read it and R4 can't detect it. This is a good time for me to buy a new flash cart.

So my question is: What is the best easy to use simple UI + simple to apply UI skin to flash cart that i can get?
Money is not an issue but I want something that is simple like the R4 but works with almost every game out there on the market. I don't need all the extra pizzass or clutter UI or anything.

Thanks ahead.

And if you recommend a flash cart, please recommend a trustworthy site where i can buy it off of.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
CycloDS is simple to use, and much better than a R4. It's a bit pricy, but it has a superb support team that answers your questions directly on their forums. They even have a BETA list, so that people can see what the team is working on, and they release firmwares very quickly.

There's also the RealTime Save, Realtime Guide, Homebrew soft reset, and all kinds of good stuff without being complicated.

asianlonerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bought the r4 when the site was still up and running solid and they still has their forums working too
that was like a year and a half ago?

like i said though, i don't really need all that extra bling but the realtime save would save a lot of headache

does the Edge DS have that? no huh

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You tried formatting your microSD yet?

The EDGE doesn't have the features that the CycloDS has but they both have a similar GUI.

If money is not an issue go with the CycloDS

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
Im possibly looking for a replacement for my R4.. I want it to be basically exactly like an r4 but with better team support of course.. Easy drag and drop and folder accessibility... I have been recommended an Acekard 2 and an EDGE but just want to know a few more details before I go spending my moolah..
smile.gif

Sticks

Trophies
XP
Country
Acekard 2, EDGE if you can't spend too much. CycloDS Evo if money isn't an issue. Also the CycloDS support is excellent, English speaking, frequent updates*, etc.

*updates as in adding new features, not just game fixes.
rolleyes.gif

asianlonerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i tired formatting the micro sd card on my phone and it saids "format error"
i tried it on my comp through a usb reader and the comp doesn't even detect the card

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you want a good but cheap card, Acekard 2 is definitely the one to get.

However if you absolutely must have the cutting edge then CycloDS is the best.

siliconcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CycloDS Evolution is a great card. I also own an R4 and the build quality is very shoddy in comparison. Putting the CyloDS next to an original game cart and you can barely tell the difference (aside from the MicroSD slot of course).

Just a note though occasionally you'll find some third party tools that don't work for the CycloDS. The one that really comes to mind is The Trainer Toolkit Rom Patcher. That was why I got the R4 to begin with. I wish I would have chosen AceKard 2 instead. Given the fairly small number of people that have the Trainer Toolkit I imagine that's not a large concern for you.

Their updates are frequent and include quite a few new features. Built in 3-in-1 support is also really nice.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Curley5959 said:
Im possibly looking for a replacement for my R4.. I want it to be basically exactly like an r4 but with better team support of course.. Easy drag and drop and folder accessibility... I have been recommended an Acekard 2 and an EDGE but just want to know a few more details before I go spending my moolah..
smile.gif

Over the last couple of weeks I've bought a DSTT and an EDGE to replace my R4. I'm keeping the EDGE cart as mine and I've sold the DSTT. I bought the DSTT first because the EDGE lacked 3-in-1 rumble support, but once they added it (the day after I bought the DSTT the bastards! lol) I picked one up.

The DSTT is great because of YSMenu but the EDGE just beats it hands down now it has 3-in-1 rumble support. It's a little slower booting then the R4 or DSTT but once it's booted it runs very quickly. It loads games alot quicker then both the DSTT and the R4, has a wickedly fast and well presented GUI. I'd definitely recommend it if you're wanting to replace your R4. I was thinking of an AK2 as well but I've been reading so many reports of faulty carts it put me right off.

matrix121391

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since money is a nonissue, I'd just say go for the CycloDS. It can be as simple as you want. It works just like the R4 and you don't even need to read the manual if you just want the basics. In fact, the GUI is very similar to the R4, so you'll have no trouble accessing whatever you need. Why get a CycloDS? Well maybe one day you'll decide you want those extra perks that come with it. You'll never know when you encounter a game that you feel will require the aid of real time save. It's just a precaution. The superb Cyclo team doesn't hurt either.

Edit: I too owned an R4 and having wanted to upgrade to SDHC's and get the extra features, I upgraded my flashcart to a Cyclo. Haven't regreted it since. It'll last me for a few more years than my R4 (which lasted more or less only one year because the spring broke and such. Works fine though).

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Curley5959 said:
So you think EDGE is a good replacement?? I want it so that the in game cheat function still works.. Like press y on the r4... And interchangeable skins??? Does the EDGE have that??

Thanks

It allows you to enable cheats before the game. It works a little differently then the R4 though. When you run the game it asks if you want to enable the cheats and if you select yes it shows the list like R4 does when you press Y. I don't know how well they work in game though cos I don't use them.

It's definitely got interchangeable skins, it uses CycloDS skins. In the system menu it gives you an option for cycling through the skins, it even gives you the name of the skin that's set by the author in the info file.

It's definitely a great cart. The build quality is great as well, no cheap plastic and it fits perfectly in my DS phat with no sticking when taking it out of the cart slot. The only complaint I've got is that you can feel the chip under the sticker but it's hardly much of a complaint!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...