Best Firmware?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Creqaw, Aug 17, 2008.

Aug 17, 2008

Best Firmware? by Creqaw at 12:07 PM (934 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Creqaw
    OP

Member Creqaw GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Well i was wondering what is the best firmware to use for the M3 DS Simply and the SCDS1
    Cause atm i just run a patched V1.18 R4 firmware but i heard they will quit with updating and the SCDS1 just runs the standard firmware from the site but it's damnt slow and it would be great if the M3 Sakura DlDI version worked with it

Don't say buy a CycloDS cause i can't atm and i'm already gonne buy a M3 Real but untill then i need to use my M3DSS and the SCDS1 is from my sister

2. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Well, you actually can't use anything other than official firmwares, or few of the hacked ones..

You're probably good with Simply and 1.18, there is announcement that one last firmware update will be released, we'll have to wait and see that..

And for SCDS ONE, there is a triple loader, so you can try that..

Sakura DLDI, will only work with media, it can't run ROMs, and actually, at that point it only looks pretty, but isn't that functional!!

3. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    Define best. As far as SCDS goes... TTDS looks better than any of the others and it's fast with ROMs and UI but it's primitive and doesn't even sort files by folder. YSmenu sorts by folder and filename it's more elaborate but it's ugly and doesn't do download play in games. SCOS looks moderate, in between the two, and provides the most features including playing MP3 and DPG directly but it's slow in both menu and games.

TTDS is about aspect and speed. YSmenu is about file sorting. SCOS is about features. You seem interested in speed so the first two would do for you. I recommend TTDS' menu because it satisfies your need for speed(lol pun?) whilst keeping the features sacrifice to a minimum(still have download play).

You can
    -add your homebrew files into a folder so that they're displayed BEFORE the ROMs in /NDS/
    or
    -leave them in root so that they're displayed AFTER the ROMs in /NDS/

And you can sort all the files with DriveSort on the memory. http://www.anerty.net/dl/DriveSort_en.zip

Note that if you move homebrew to a folder the following files/folders NEED to remain in root:

-Moonshell needs the MoonShl folder in root
    -Lameboy needs Lameboy.cfg in root
    -SNEmulDS needs SNEmul.cfg in root
    -GBA ExpLoader needs GBA_ExpLoader.ini in root

Another advantage of a DSTT setup is that you can always run MSFORSC.NDS from it to fix soft reset fatigue. There is ONE DISADVANTAGE of a DSTT setup and that is that in about 10% of cases boot or soft reset will hang at LOADING and require a poweroff. Another is that... I can see you have a 3in1. I advise you not to use DSTT menu's boot slot-2 because your GBA games will get a tiny but abnormal frameskip. There is a boot slot-2 ROM out there, use that. All in all DSTT takes a while longer to set up but it looks good and it's fast.

Save files are compatible between setups, but if you will use YS or TT you might have to rename them into a full name save for them to be detected.

4. Creqaw
    OP

Member Creqaw GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    @Toni
    I know i cna't boot ROMs with Sakura (i actually read that 70+ pages thread about sakura [​IMG]) but it's good for Videos music some hombrew and i like the GUI which is why i'll buy a M3 Real and i'll jsut wait for the R4 Teams final update then

@Searinox
    Thats kinda lot of work to do...
    I think i'll jsut edit the global.ini then to run a bit faster

//edit
    This is kinda offtopic but since i already have a 3 in 1 Slot 2 expansion pack is it worth it to buy the M3 Real with their expansion or should i just buy a M3 without rumble/GBA

5. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Nice you actually read something before asking, most of people doesn't bother to look on something at all, they just register and start with stupid questions!!

Well, only benefit you'll get with GBA expansion is RTS and cheats on GBA gaming..Using EZ 3-in-1 you won't be able to RealTimeSave (and it really comes in handy, especially with GBA games, because there are lots of games that won't allow you to save anywhere, but at save points)..
    I'd say it's worthy to spend extra few bucks for GBA expansion, I don't even take it out of my NDS..
    I'm also not sure if EZ 3-in-1 will be recognized by Sakura, because Sakura uses slot 2 RAM expansion to speed up GBA loading, and browsing trough the cart!!