Hardware Best External DVD Burner

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone have any recommendations for a good, external dvd burner? I'm trying to burn some games for the ps2, but I keep getting duds, depending on the game. I don't think it's the dvd drive in the ps2, because most games work. it's just some are slow loading or they do nothing (black screen).

I'm not looking to softmod my ps2. I only want to use discs.

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to Backup my PS2 Discs with IMGBurn via Internal and External DVD Burner Liteon EZDUB and kept failing but Drive and Disc fine weird.

However to Burn I would use IMGBurn DVD-R Discs 12x out of 16x Speed you can try DVD+ aswell I just seem to have better luck with DVD-R.

At the very least try 4X but it will take awhile depending on the Game Size.

Last edited by CORE,
Reactions: godreborn

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dont really see much difference to be honest although I would guess Desktop or External would be better than the small slim Laptop Drives.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what I find very odd is most of the burns I tried from 10+ years ago still work. I found a copy of mm anniversary collection among my backups. that one doesn't go beyond the browser. I'm trying some taiyo yuden discs with another pc. they seem to work butter, but that's not saying much. I'm going to best buy on friday just to try some other brands. if they don't work, I can just bring them back. it's too risky trying with an online site, especially when I'm not sure if it's the computer, ps2, discs, or burner.

Reactions: CORE

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Buy a caddy. Buy a DVD ROM drive of some quality (there are still a few, depending upon what you want to do then it might be worth looking to see what xbox 360 XGD3 capable drives are doing these days, bonus is most of those are pretty good). Problem sorted without having to mess around figuring out what is the least worst thing aimed at ripping off travelling businessmen.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yep, just like floppy drives in the 2000s, the overall best optical drives available these days are 10 year old used ones :D

I also tried an LG USB optical drive and... well, it works, but it's cheaper and crappier built than an Apple/Matshita laptop slotloader!

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I have an old imation desktop dvd burner, gets the job done, but I have to smack it every time I press the eject button, a few times and it comes out with the motor, weird.

Remember always btw, never go full write speed. If your disc says 48x for instance, do 32x or something. The faster the write speed, the higher probability of it failing to burn without getting the disc corrupted. At least that's my experience.

Also reading the posts here made me appreciate my old burner, I think I'll keep it.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Back in the day I used a NEC ND-2500 to burn 300+ PS2 games.
I uses NERO and IMGburn, I perfer using IMGburn and always at 4x or 6x burn speed.
Burning disc's I use Platinum,Arita the most and they where DVD-R's

Last time I use a cheap Sony DVD burner and that works fine.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a good blu-ray/dvd/cd burner combo desktop drive and place it in an enclosure. I recommend the lg bd xl drives they can burn the 100/120gb blu rays

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what I'm baffled by is how the dvds burned with img burn had major skipping on the opening video, but ones burned with alcohol 120% or via the default, windows burning software were perfectly fine. now, after a couple weeks, the ones that were good are skipping in the same place. I've tried two computers, different media, even +R, and I still encounter skipping. the game I'm trying to burn is mega man anniversary collection. the original disc is fine and fast. it never skips. other burns I've done that are years old still work too. I encountered something like this with my old ps2 when it came to mega man x3. that was virtually unplayable. on my new ps2, it's perfectly fine, and almost never skips. I think those dvd drives are finicky or stubborn with certain games. I've wasted so many discs trying to get this to work. I'm afraid to buy a new drive, because I don't know if it will work, then I'm out that money, and this is for one game. I was going to try my desktop, but it's like 15 years old, and I have no idea where the mouse is. I found the keyboard though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too