Homebrew Best DS emulator for 3DS ?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Robz8 I must have done something wrong, I installed Mario Kart DS as a forwarder without issue, but when I loaded it, all I got was a blank screen, no title screen, no sound, nothing. And yes, I do have the actual ROM for it on the SD card. What did I do wrong?
Is the ROM in need of being trimmed? Do I need to use the NDS ROM that the Java app used to make the forwarder? I'm so confused. :blink: What are the DS CIA and ROMs supposed to look like?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think like, sound and stuff is what they mean. Last I tested, it was iffy, but gameplay was good. Sorry to budge in. =b
Ah. The surround sound issue wasn't fixed 'til 0.6.0.
@Robz8 I must have done something wrong, I installed Mario Kart DS as a forwarder without issue, but when I loaded it, all I got was a blank screen, no title screen, no sound, nothing. And yes, I do have the actual ROM for it on the SD card. What did I do wrong?
Is the ROM in need of being trimmed? Do I need to use the NDS ROM that the Java app used to make the forwarder? I'm so confused. :blink: What are the DS CIA and ROMs supposed to look like?
Sounds like you did everything right. Is the screen white or black?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah. The surround sound issue wasn't fixed 'til 0.6.0.

Sounds like you did everything right. Is the screen white or black?

Black screen, it shows the NDS splash screen just fine, but after that, I'm forced to press home and close the game. I trimmed the ROM, even though MKDS is only 16 MB, I probably shouldn't have trimmed any of them *sigh*. Should I try a non trimmed ROM?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Black screen, it shows the NDS splash screen just fine, but after that, I'm forced to press home and close the game. I trimmed the ROM, even though MKDS is only 16 MB, I probably shouldn't have trimmed any of them *sigh*. Should I try a non trimmed ROM?
MKDS is 32MB (below 28MB, when trimmed), actually. Both trimmed and untrimmed ROMs will work.
You mean after the NDS splash screen, it's just white? If so, how long did you wait on the white screen?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MKDS is 32MB (below 28MB, when trimmed), actually. Both trimmed and untrimmed ROMs will work.
You mean after the NDS splash screen, it's just white? If so, how long did you wait on the white screen?

No, it's not white, it's black, and I don't know what program I'm supposed to use to trim the ROMs, I found something called NDSTokyoTrim3.exe to trim, probably another bad thing to do.
I waited 30 seconds at the black screen, it wasn't white, but the DS splash sound and logo did play, so it almost works, but not. I don't know what else to try. And yes the _nds folder is on the SD root.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's not white, it's black, and I don't know what program I'm supposed to use to trim the ROMs, I found something called NDSTokyoTrim3.exe to trim, probably another bad thing to do.
I waited 30 seconds at the black screen, it wasn't white, but the DS splash sound and logo did play, so it almost works, but not. I don't know what else to try.
Try formatting your SD card to FAT32 with 32kb cluster/allocation size.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try formatting your SD card to FAT32 with 32kb cluster/allocation size.

Pretty sure it's already FAT32, I've used it for other 3DS homebrew stuff and had no issue. What do you use to trim the ROMs? And should MKDS be trimmed or not? I just want to do it
right before I format the card, I'd rather not lose all my VC injects/games or saves.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure it's already FAT32, I've used it for other 3DS homebrew stuff and had no issue. What do you use to trim the ROMs?
In that case, reformat with 32kb cluster/allocation size. Also, I use a hex-editor to trim ROMs.
And should MKDS be trimmed or not? I just want to do it right before I format the card, I'd rather not lose all my VC injects/games or saves.
It's your choice if you want to trim it. It'll save space on your SD card.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hex-editor.

It's your choice if you want to trim it. It'll save space on your SD card.

I wouldn't know what to delete in the hex editor, what offset to what offset, so I'll keep the ROMs as is. Not sure why I got a black screen, if it doesn't work, I'll just get a flashcart like the DS TT or whatever that one is called.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't know what to delete in the hex editor, what offset to what offset, so I'll keep the ROMs as is. Not sure why I got a black screen, if it doesn't work, I'll just get a flashcart like the DS TT or whatever that one is called.
Does the DS Download Play app work? It's in the "Download Play" app.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can you explain "almost"?
Super Mario 64 had some slight loading times that felt a bit off from when I played it on an emulator, but that could just be the difference between playing on an emulator and on a real system.

MKDS has a "dead zone" kinda thing where the bottom 5 rows of pixels (or whatever the DS has) is emulated twice on both screens. Doesn't impact gameplay, but feels kinda odd.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario 64 had some slight loading times that felt a bit off from when I played it on an emulator, but that could just be the difference between playing on an emulator and on a real system.
Yeah. Loading times are perfect on nds-bootstrap.
MKDS has a "dead zone" kinda thing where the bottom 5 rows of pixels (or whatever the DS has) is emulated twice on both screens. Doesn't impact gameplay, but feels kinda odd.
It's an occasional TWL_FIRM issue that also happens outside of CFW users.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways...

What are so good flashcarts?
outside the merits already mentioned by @Lilith Valentine , if your already going full CFW (Luma, etc) and not settling w/ an Userland entrypoint for HBL, best overall is the R4i Gold if your not setup w/ B9S+CFW (or still clinging to A9LH+ older builds of luma) , if you are , you can get the AK2ias it might still be the cheaper of the bunch if the initial release of ntrboot hadn't driven it up. and unless teh flashing process has been refined since initial release of compatibility to the R4i Gold, the AK2i i think is still the only one that can be flashed for it and still retain full flashcart functionality. (and considering NTRBoot's primary goal is CFW anyway, the fact you need cfw for the ak2i on the 3ds is moot by that point, since quite some time ago it got blocked and the AceKard team couldn't keep up not without releasing a new card to combat each time it got locked out..)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
outside the merits already mentioned by @Lilith Valentine , if your already going full CFW (Luma, etc) and not settling w/ an Userland entrypoint for HBL, best overall is the R4i Gold if your not setup w/ B9S+CFW (or still clinging to A9LH+ older builds of luma) , if you are , you can get the AK2ias it might still be the cheaper of the bunch if the initial release of ntrboot hadn't driven it up. and unless teh flashing process has been refined since initial release of compatibility to the R4i Gold, the AK2i i think is still the only one that can be flashed for it and still retain full flashcart functionality. (and considering NTRBoot's primary goal is CFW anyway, the fact you need cfw for the ak2i on the 3ds is moot by that point, since quite some time ago it got blocked and the AceKard team couldn't keep up not without releasing a new card to combat each time it got locked out..)

If you used an R4 gold to flash a N2DS XL with Luma and NTRBoot, how do you un-flash the cart to use for DS games? I take it the process is a pain?

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you used an R4 gold to flash a N2DS XL with Luma and NTRBoot, how do you un-flash the cart to use for DS games? I take it the process is a pain?
the flasher stores a backup of the flash-storage of the cart.ya just Restore. in the case of the AK2i and any reason it rejects it, just rerun the last FW Updater for it which work sin TWLoader too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since