Best Dreamcast emulator for these settings?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by BoxmanWTF, Jan 18, 2012.

1. BoxmanWTF
    OP

BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada
    Behind you
    My Dreamcast is dead, and I really want to play Powerstone 2 again. But in a lot of the emulators I use, they all seem to look like crap on the loading screen and have no text.
    Does anyone know a good DC emulator for someone with these specs?
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I'm getting a better computer in november, but for now I really want to at least play some of my old DC games...

2. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Your computer isn't complete shite. Its processor is a bit out dated, but you could probably get an acceptable emulation experience out of it. The only killer is your lack of graphics card, I think--you have an onboard chipset it looks like. Those aren't really helpful for 3D elements, or any graphically-taxing things your computer has to put up with. It's probably the root of your shoddy emulation. But then again, I didn't see many good emulators the last time I looked around... but I didn't look very hard either :P

Most people seem to just buy a new cheap one and burn some back-ups on it.

3. BoxmanWTF
    OP

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada
    Behind you
    :|
    well thanks...maybe I can try and find a cheap graphics card, anythings better than this PoS chipset

4. indask8

indask8 New Member Forever

Apr 19, 2007
    France
    Look at the Flag...
    A crappy PC???? Your config is pretty great IMO (I only have dual core cpu at home, I'm not a PC gamer ^^)

But I remember playing most DC games full speed with my core duo + 1GB ram and radeon x1400.

I think the only problem with your config is the GPU (gma X3100 it's very weak), you might want to try to update the drivers, then the three emu I'll recommend:

-Chankast (old and unsupported but most games works fine).
    -NullDC (still pretty much supported, try to play around with the graphic plugins).
    -Makaron (same as Nulldc I think the author still work on it, same suggestion as nulldc, mess with the graphic plugin.).

5. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    The demul is great emulator and it is a Russian developer. Makaron is not bad but you have to mess with the graphic plugin. I usually have two emulators.. Demul and Makaron. A demul is more friendly and is very active and higher compabilities than Makaron. Demul can emulated:

Sega Model 3
    Naomi and Naomi2
    Dreamcast
    Atomiswave

6. Maverick Lunar X

Maverick Lunar X GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    United States
    what exactly is wrong with your dreamcast? I thought mine died a few years back, turns out theres a card that came loose on the inside

7. BoxmanWTF
    OP

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada
    Behind you
    The insides are melted D:

8. Maverick Lunar X

Maverick Lunar X GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    United States
    yeah, probably cant fix that. even still, id just buy another one. picked mine up for $30, much easier to burn the backups than trying to emulate.

9. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    i have 2 dreamcasts just for backup purposes :)

10. BoxmanWTF
    OP

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada
    Behind you
    the sad part is, I can't find a dreamcast here, but I've seen two places selling mega drives, and saturns