Best C++ books?

  • Thread starter Thread starter user0002
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 4,007
  • Replies Replies 18

user0002

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2009
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
Trophies
0
Age
42
Location
F1nland
Website
Visit site
XP
173
Country
Finland
I've been trying to learn C++ now for a while but find it very difficult. What are good C++ books (up-to-date, simple enough etc) for a beginner to get the basics? So far I've been following some tutorials on the web and PDF books I've found.
 
Urza said:

That's good but I was looking for something like people actually having read a c++ book and having an opinion about it whether it's good or not.
rolleyes.gif
 
I read the C and C++ "for Dummies" books when I was trying to learn. Don't have the links to hand, but they were the 6/7 in 1 books rather than the Desktop guides. They were quite good for a beginner, they used humour to try and keep the drier subjects interesting, but it was still a hard slog. They got me through my two programming modules at Uni if that counts as a recommendation!?!

Whilst you said you've already been doing tutorials on the net, I still found that I learnt more from that and Google than I did from the books. I think you just need to find a project that you want to achieve and work at it slowly, building up your knowledge, rather than typing "Hello World" in a console.
 
For me, the idiot guide to C++ or C++ for dumbies

anyway start from hello world first.

and thank your time to build up. Maybe next would be a calculator? and slowly progress till you can make a basic text based game out.
 
Do you know C?

If not you should learn that first.. then understand how Object Orientation works and then move up to C++.

That's what I think is best.. and there are plenty of resources on the Internet, don't think that a book is really necessary.
 
CockroachMan said:
Do you know C?

If not you should learn that first.. then understand how Object Orientation works and then move up to C++.

That's what I think is best.. and there are plenty of resources on the Internet, don't think that a book is really necessary.

I'm not familiar with C but it was Stroustrup himself who's said that nowadays one should start with C++ instead of C.

And I've followed some tutorials that I've found on the internet but it seems that there's a really steep learning curve. I guess I just have to keep hitting my head against the wall until I've learned the basic stuff well enough.
 
Accelerated C++ is a great book for beginners looking to learn the language, it'll teach you the basics with in fair amount of detail, it will also teach you how to structure your code well. I'd avoid books like C++ for Dummies as I hear it is teaches bad coding habits.
And there's no real point in learning C before C++ once you know C++ you pretty much know C.
 
not to mention C is more or less dead
C++ starting to go that way also but C# hasnt really gotten popular yet
 
if you want to learn programming go to college/university and take a course, you'll only learn so much from reading books.
 
mrSmiles said:
if you want to learn programming go to college/university and take a course, you'll only learn so much from reading books.
University programming course are mostly a joke.
 
so true, but life seems to be getting better for future kids.

I mean for my batch, it was something like welcome to the world of programming, here's some really basic info that u can get off the net, and see ya. Have a problem? Google it buhahahaha

O for assignment, you will be doing complex stuff.


Now, it's more like hi guys, welcome to the world of programming, here, let me explain each concept to you? Have a problem, well, let me have a look and give you some hint.
 
Frozen_Fish said:
Accelerated C++ is a great book for beginners looking to learn the language, it'll teach you the basics with in fair amount of detail, it will also teach you how to structure your code well. I'd avoid books like C++ for Dummies as I hear it is teaches bad coding habits.
And there's no real point in learning C before C++ once you know C++ you pretty much know C.

I checked out C++ for Dummies and indeed it does teach bad habits, right in the first coding example the author uses system("PAUSE") to halt the program.
 
I can recommend the Addison Wesley Books for example (since i have only the german books i try to translate
smile.gif
)
C++ for advanced starters,
C++ Codebook,
Objectoriented programming with C++
there are many more books with more specific topics (C++ with Borland, Windows programming and so on)
 
user0002 said:
Frozen_Fish said:
Accelerated C++ is a great book for beginners looking to learn the language, it'll teach you the basics with in fair amount of detail, it will also teach you how to structure your code well. I'd avoid books like C++ for Dummies as I hear it is teaches bad coding habits.
And there's no real point in learning C before C++ once you know C++ you pretty much know C.

I checked out C++ for Dummies and indeed it does teach bad habits, right in the first coding example the author uses system("PAUSE") to halt the program.

It does
wtf.gif
guess i should be glad that i wasnt able to borrow that book...
 
user0002 said:
Frozen_Fish said:
Accelerated C++ is a great book for beginners looking to learn the language, it'll teach you the basics with in fair amount of detail, it will also teach you how to structure your code well. I'd avoid books like C++ for Dummies as I hear it is teaches bad coding habits.
And there's no real point in learning C before C++ once you know C++ you pretty much know C.

I checked out C++ for Dummies and indeed it does teach bad habits, right in the first coding example the author uses system("PAUSE") to halt the program.
If it does, then that's not the book I recommended! Maybe that's a different edition, I can tell you for a fact that it's not in the copy I've got. Although that does raise the problem of knowing what edition of each book people are recommending...
 
Magoo222 said:
user0002 said:
Frozen_Fish said:
Accelerated C++ is a great book for beginners looking to learn the language, it'll teach you the basics with in fair amount of detail, it will also teach you how to structure your code well. I'd avoid books like C++ for Dummies as I hear it is teaches bad coding habits.
And there's no real point in learning C before C++ once you know C++ you pretty much know C.

I checked out C++ for Dummies and indeed it does teach bad habits, right in the first coding example the author uses system("PAUSE") to halt the program.
If it does, then that's not the book I recommended! Maybe that's a different edition, I can tell you for a fact that it's not in the copy I've got. Although that does raise the problem of knowing what edition of each book people are recommending...

It was 5th edition from 2004.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted