Best battery efficient OS?

Deleted member 373057

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi!

I'm in need of the least power-consuming OS there is (or that anyone can think of) for long road trips or when I'm out. I don't need much in terms of features or compatibility, as I can dual boot the OS with Windows or Linux Mint.

All I would do is write documents, maybe code a bit, stuff like that. The performance can be very low for all I care, I just want my battery to last long.

Currently under Windows 10, my battery will last 6 hours with minimal settings and power saving mode on. If I could extend this to say, 8 or 9 hours, that would be great.

Thanks!

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it's possible, but you could look into Raspbian, the raspberry pi operating system. Since it's designed for a computer the size of a credit card, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too energy intensive.

_112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't know if it's possible, but you could look into Raspbian, the raspberry pi operating system. Since it's designed for a computer the size of a credit card, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too energy intensive.

Raspbian wont work on a PC it is arm based and I don't think they make x86 images.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One wonders if Linux vs windows would be like when you do a fresh Linux install vs your day to day Windows one with all the printer drivers and crap installed.

Anyway Linux could be worse if the drivers are not up to par, not that I have not had massive traumas with drivers and Windows drivers for things doing different power states over the years (bluescreen because a camera decided to enter low power mode, cheers lads).

I also wonder if you could enforce some discipline yourself and maybe also choose programs --> I imagine your nice IDE that blasts the CPU from time to time is going to gobble far more power than notepad++ or something, and that may eclipse (hah) any OS related savings.

Also for giggles I am going to suggest coding on pen and paper. Try it a few times and see what it does for you, does wonders for me.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MinuetOS?

TBH I think it depends more on the power management abilities of the OS. A OS that can better modulate screen brightness, fan speeds, and hard drive usage can outlast a leaner OS that doesn't do those things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup