Best archiver?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by 3bbb7, Sep 12, 2013.

1. 3bbb7
    OP

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    What is the best one?
    I've always used WinRAR but 7-Zip is free and seems to be faster.

I've also seen Bandizip, and it looks nice but not sure.

2. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Not any one "archiving" program is significantly better than any of the others nowadays.

I use WinRAR because it's lightweight and works well for what I use it for (un-raring downloads, mostly), and because you can tell it to not make context menu entries.

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Are you asking for archive (compression) program or the format itself?

4. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    Depends on what you're after. A lot of software that has nothing to do w/ compression supports ZIP: my GBA flashcart clients for example, so all of my GBA ROMs are stored in ZIPs w/ their NFO's and such. In this case ZIP is best purely for convenience.

LZ7 (7-Zip being one) archivers are what I would recommend for most usage though. Generally better compression and speed for everyday arch'ing over RAR and ZIP in my experience... And as you said 7-Zip is free. Also, I'm running Directory Opus which supports using 7Z files as directories (it also supports RAR & ZIP) so I largely have all the same advantages that using ZIPs does on a Windows box. Most of my ROM's (MAME, GBA, etc) need to remain in ZIPs though as the software I use them w/ doesn't support anything else (DOpus doesn't and can't fix that, it needs to be built into the software in question).

That being said though, when sending a file to someone I usually choose RAR or ZIP as many of them do not have the ability to handle 7Zs. Mostly because they don't know what 7-Zip is and when I try to tell them what and where to get it their eyes glaze over. So I use something like ZIP that is going to work on just about any platform right out of the box. Also some servers will not allow you to upload anything else (because their admins are dumb).

If you want to be a bastard you can use GZip and TAR. >:-)

5. 3bbb7
    OP

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    program

Thanks for the info guys, I'll probably end up sticking with winrar

6. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    7-zip opens a lot more without nagging you, and doesn't install context menus or even associations unless you tell it to.

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Associations by default, no. Context menus by default, yes.
    Anyway, I prefer WinRAR for purely aesthetic reasons. WinRAR and 7-zip accomplish basically the same thing.

8. gifi4

gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Apr 21, 2010
    Melbourne
    There is a program out there that has amazing compression. Compressing things including pre-compressed video files into MUCH smaller files. The only problem is that the compression takes a crazy amount of time.
    As for normal compression and extraction, Winrar will do the job.

9. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    I think you're talking opt-in versus opt-out, whereas I'm talking opts-at-all versus it doing it without letting you tell it no.

10. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    7-zip doesn't give one the option to opt-in or opt-out during install.

11. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    32-bit or 64-bit installer?

12. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I use 7-zip for compression and extract now for extraction as its able to handle multiple files in many different directories all in one go. So when I download say 5 HD films and 5 normal films i que it up and I'll extract them all to any specific folder I want without me having to do them one by one

13. The Minecrafter

The Minecrafter GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    United States
  14. LockeCole_101629

LockeCole_101629 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2012
    New Zealand
    nobody seems remember winzip anymore
    My serial number still working with new version though it's been so long since I purchase it back in 97.
    -

Just pick 1, winrar or 7-zip
    but winrar isn't free, but all you need to do is close their evaluation warning and that's it, it's like Freeware while 7-zip is completely free
    the only reason I still use winrar is because it unpack data very fast despite my low speed HDD, and most of time compatible with any ISO files (so I can unpack it without have to mount it first)

15. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    7-Zip 32-bit installs without the option to disable the context menu. WinRAR installs giving one the option.

7-zip.jpg WinRAR.jpg

16. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I find it easier to teach people to use WinRAR than 7Zip. Something about the 7Zip GUI just scares people away.

Then again, for the technically inept, there's always "Windows Compression" for making zip files.

17. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Yeah just checked, looks like it changed for both (the .exe and .msi installers used to act differently).

18. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    7-Zip doesn't have the repair option that Winrar has so i almost completely use Winrar for archival purposes (which although adding a small % size increase is quite handy)

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I've always used WinRAR to great effect but there was a time when I switched to 7-Zip and I was quite happy with it. I believe I only switched back because of some silly issue with odd archive types with which WinRAR didn's seem to have any issues at all.