Gaming Best AntiVirus/spyware Suites?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The best is still be sensible, run a patched up/cut down system (a telnet service really is not that useful yet the chances are it is activated), browser that is not hard coded into the machine (simply put not I.E.) and if you can run on a limited user (I know how hard that can be to pull off though) and drop java, flash, javascript and lock down the browser some more in whatever way you can (again damn hard if you like the flashy websites but you can usually drop java and most of javascript).
If using firefox a generous use of adblock+, filtersetG (just to save hassle), noscript and possibly greasemonkey will also go some way to helping out.
If you are especially keen you could probably use a livecd/virtualisation and run another OS more inherently secure than windows.

First things first you can do this for free so think long and hard about putting any money down.

AV I might consider AVG but v8 seems to have caught a bad case of the bloat and other nonsense:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/av...raffic_numbers/

Other than that I go low key AV and use manual scanning.
comodo do a good firewall (although there is still much to be said for a hardware firewall; your router should have some basic stuff if you lack a machine to do it for you).
They also do a fairly decent AV app (been switching machines I am responsible for from AVG to it recently), it is not quite as friendly as some others but it can update, scan at a given time, scan when you tell it to and so on.
Part of the manual scan can also be a port/packet scan of your machine (preferably from another machine on the network).

Avast, antivir and G-data are fairly good.
have a look at http://www.av-comparatives.org

Spyware:
Spyware, spybot, adaware, a squared (they have a really nice freeware app I use all the time).

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
I use the following:

• AVG Free 8.0
  • ZoneAlarm Firewall (free)
  • Spybot - Search and Destroy
  • SpywareBlaster

Haven't had any infections with my own Fantastic Four

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
I use the following setup.

ESET NOD32 Smart Security. On all the time plus Router firewall.
Spybot - Search and Destroy. To immunize browser and to scan and clean.
Spyware Doctor. On all the time and to scan and clean.
Trojan Remover Simply Super Software. To scan on system boot up.

Im a bit paranoid since i got a virtumond spyware when I just had just the ESET NOD32 Smart Security running which was meant to stop spyware but failed.

onneeye

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use Kasper sky on my desktop and active virus shield by kaspersky on my laptop with spybot. I never use internet explorer unless I have to. I use seamonkey to browse the internet.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Symantec Corporate 10.2 + NOD32 3.0.650(ripped the network monitor module outta it cause it was conflicting with my firewall) + Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.25 + Windows Firewall.

Contrary to popular belief, these two AVs get along well and I've not had system instability for using them together over an year now. The only time I had system lag was when I had enabled advanced heuristics on NOD32.

jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Thanks for your responses but still doent really help me
frown.gif
Just know there's a few good programs. I didnt wanna have more than 1 program. I just wanted a 1-click program that would scan and fix all viruses/spywares

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
jaxxster said:
Thanks for your responses but still doent really help me
frown.gif
Just know there's a few good programs. I didnt wanna have more than 1 program. I just wanted a 1-click program that would scan and fix all viruses/spywares

That would be called the power switch (I guess a computer only running a hello world app might also do).

The very nature of the problem means there will never be a magic bullet and your only option is risk management (methods of which others have given you already).

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Jax said:
I use Kaspersky Internet Security, and it's awesome! You don't need anything else.
That's the one I'm planning on getting when my subscription on Norton 360 ends.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: wth