Best alternate fw for a linksys wrt54g router?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by triassic911, Jun 14, 2009.

1. triassic911
    OP

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Hi all. I'm currently in a dilemma as my router doesn't seem to "work" so to speak. For a while now, my internet has timed out numerous times, resulting in half-loaded web pages and connection problems with msn and xbox live, etc... I always assumed the problem was from my isp, but just to test, I tried using my modem directly to my computer, then directly to my 360 for a full day. Hasn't failed. I KNOW it's the router. It's not delivering the default gateway info in time. I know there's like 2-3 (or more) alternate firmwares out there but my question is, which one is the best? Which one is most stable? Thanks.

By the way, It's a wrt54g v8 router, so Tomato doesn't work on it....

2. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  3. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
  4. triassic911
    OP

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    What were you gonna say?

5. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    I love DD-WRT!! I use it on my router, it's excellent

6. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm assuming you flashed the vxworkskiller already.

If you're using Vista, you need to go to Control Panel > Turn Windows features on or off (it should be on the left side on the panel) > Scroll down to tftp client and make sure it's checked. I think for XP, it should automatically be installed or you can use the tftp utility from Linksys.

Next, open up command prompt(Winkey+R and type in cmd). Make sure the command prompt is in your folder with the MICRO firmware and type in what was in the instructions, making sure to type in the name of the firmware correctly.

That should flash the firmware to the WRT54G. It'll auto-reboot afterward and it'll automatically take you to the configuration page.

I'd highly recommend after getting to the config page that you do another hard reset to reset all settings to default and then proceed to configure it to your liking.

NOTE: THIS WORKS ONLY FOR V8 AND V8.2. V8.1 has some issues with the firmware.