Best 512GB Micro SD Card (Switch)

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by godreborn, Jul 28, 2019.

1. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
  2. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    I am also wondering the best option for a Switch SD Card.. I don't know if I should start my own thread. Is this thread too old to bump? I am considering a large SD. I want to invest wisely so I have a few questions. I am hoping for the 256-512GB if I can afford it. So I guess my questions are..

1. I read that U1 was good enough because the Switch SD slot isn't fast enough for U3 so it kicks is back down to U1 speed anyway, Is this true?
    2. I have had a few SD cards die over the years. I am looking at the Samsung Pro Endurance and the SanDisk High Endurance Cards. What brand/type do you guys find most reliable?
    3. What card are you using? What are you stuffing in to your slot these days? ;)
    I would appreciate some input as most of the threads about this are outdated or lacking in some way.

Thank you!

p.s if I get no response I will start my own thread..

Last edited by mikefor20, Nov 12, 2019
  3. pjhcast

pjhcast Member

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2019
    Korea, South
    Faster when you replace the built-in emmc nand

4. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    I use Samsung Evo+ 512gb and is not bad

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The Evo Plus is the best for the price, I'm really happy with mine. Yeah the Switch probably can't take advantage of the full speed but you still get the full speed when copying files to it which is nice.

6. mikefor20

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Anybody have and idea which SD is actually more reliable? Less failures?

7. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    Probably SanDisk is better on this terms but a lot more expensive. Samsung isn't that bad I have few Samsung cards for example in my 4K camera - works without problems

8. mikefor20

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Anybody know what cards are less prone to failure? I see these endurance cards which are meant for 24/7 recording but is that over kill? I had an EVO + and a Sandisk Extreme fail in my 3DS systems... I am looking for the best solution.

Anybody have something to add? What failed in the past? I am getting errors on my FAT32 64GB Samsung now occasionally.. SanDisk is not the same since WD took over..

What do you think?

9. LuisRosado

LuisRosado Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Make sure it is A1 certified and a minimum of v10 rating, v30 better. i bought a samsung 256gb microsd evo, and it had nether of those, and it was garbage, downloads would fail left and right, whent to best buy bought a 256gb sandisk a1 v10 sdcard for 30, its night and day difference. Super fast loads and downloads never fail.

godreborn likes this.
  10. mikefor20

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Good to know! I am wondering if any of these endurance cards are better investment. Or maybe the image view line from SanDisk? Made for video recording so they are fast and have been tested to have more rewrites before the card fails. I am wondering if this is true and if this is a better option for the switch.

godreborn likes this.
  11. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    thanks. after thorough testing, the card I bought runs fine. however, I ran out of space on it, so I bought a 1TB card, since they're on sale.

12. mikefor20

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Link to the sale?

13. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
  14. MetaKirb7