Benefits to system menu 4.0?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blesbok, Apr 27, 2009.

Apr 27, 2009

Benefits to system menu 4.0? by blesbok at 7:17 PM (980 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. blesbok
    OP

Newcomer blesbok Member

United States
    Half the guides are for upgrading, half the guides are for downgrading, but I can't seem to find a definitive source as to the benefits of 4.0 over 3.2u.

I don't really care to use USBloader at the moment, is there any benefit to me upgrading to 4.0?

2. cthg

Member cthg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Loading VC/Wiiware from the SD card(including SDHC).
    The VC/Wiiware is really just copied to the NAND and then deleted after you play it.

3. Servdogg

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    USB loader will work on 3.2. The main benefit of 4.0 appears to be the SD menu, by which you can play wiiware and virtual console and homebrew without having to install and uninstall channels all the time to free up space. If you don't play wiiware or vc games much, this doesn't really matter much. If you use softmii themes, there are currently more themes for 3.2 than 4.0 I beleive. The main drawback with 4.0 appears to be the inability to run the twightlight hack and reinstall the HBC on 4.0 if it is somehow removed or corrupted.

4. drmarvin

Member drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Those are certainly the benefits, and if you upgrade properly, I don't really see any bad things, at least not so far for me.

5. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    Personally I think that aside from SDHC support 4.0 is just a bunch of hype with a lot of disadvantages.

Im sticking with 3.2

6. Servdogg

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    same here wiiman, the sd shit isn't necessary. Not when you can burn 3000 classic games onto a single dvd.

7. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    3000? I have 4000 nes games and 6000 snes games (roms) on one DVD [​IMG] (of course many are duplicates in different regions)