Benchmarks are in! Vista SP1 sucks

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
With both Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and Windows XP Service Pack 3 nearing completion and already delivered to select experts, it is about time we see some benchmarking scores and comparisons.

The research staff at exo-blog benchmarked both service packs and while they were disappointed with the much anticipated Vista SP1, they were pleasantly surprised with XP SP3's unexpected performance gains.

The team benchmarked Windows Vista RTM (with no updates) against a fully updated Windows Vista SP1 version. Both versions performed identically in all tests except 2 where SP1 performed 1% faster in one and 2% in the other.

"Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed with the performance of Windows Vista to date, get used to it. SP1 is simply not the panacea that many predicted", the research staff concluded. "In the end, it's Vista's architecture - not a lack of tuning or bug fixes - that makes it perform so poorly on systems that were "barn-burners" under Windows XP."

On the other hand, benchmarking Windows XP SP2 against SP3 showed an unexpected 10% performance gain. Both XP versions performed more than 100% better than Windows Vista for the same tasks on the same hardware.

dud2vm9.jpg
dud1kj2.jpg
xpsp3zl6.jpg

Super lawl.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
im not suprised...
i found vista gimmicky after a while and i stopped using it

isnt that last graph wrong?
It says that both xp versions performed 100% better than vista and that SP3 is 10% than SP2. The graph however shows that vista runs better than SP1 and they performed better than xp. and SP2 is better than SP1.

Wait... am i looking at it wrong? Lower must be better, am i right?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im not suprised...
i found vista gimmicky after a while and i stopped using it

isnt that last graph wrong?
It says that both xp versions performed 100% better than vista and that SP3 is 10% than SP2. The graph however shows that vista runs better than SP1 and they performed better than xp. and SP2 is better than SP1.

Wait... am i looking at it wrong? Lower must be better, am i right?

Yes, lower is better. It shows that Vista takes twice as much work/power/memory (whatever the last chart represents) than XP to do the same tasks.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I hope this does not start another vista war like we had last month...but this time there are benchmarks on SP1 by OP, XD.

May the benchmarks be with you~

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, my brother says Vista isn't for gaming, so we always use Windows XP (SP2) on our Home PCs for gaming.

My laptop has Vista Home Premium, and it's doing fine in games like Portal, Halo2, etc.

~Nero

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, my brother says Vista isn't for gaming, so we always use Windows XP (SP2) on our Home PCs for gaming.

My laptop has Vista Home Premium, and it's doing fine in games like Portal, Halo2, etc.

~Nero

Vista is just fine for gaming if you have a good enough rig. UT3 and COD4 run great for me. I haven't noticed any performance issues when I switched over to Vista.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

~Nero

Vista is just fine for gaming if you have a good enough rig. UT3 and COD4 run great for me. I haven't noticed any performance issues when I switched over to Vista.

Yep... That's true.

2GB DDR2 and Athlon X2 4400+ with 512KiB of Cache.

150 GB HD on a sidenote. (Which blows in my opinion.. What was I thinking?
tongue.gif
)

~Nero

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aren't Games for Windows pushing towards Vista?
Anyways, if I ever got the chance to get a new computer, I'd choose Vista. Then dual boot with XP if I hated it.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My quad core and ATI HD3870 run like shit on XP...moved to Vista today...hopefully it runs better.... unfortunatly its defragging right now so I cant test...I didn't know that when I said defrag the C drive it was gonna defrag all 7 hard drives at once
frown.gif

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I hope this will result in 10% more FPS in my games.

Too bad XP SP3 doesn't include DirectX10! Please Microsoft we're begging youÂ
bow.gif

Vista really isn't as bad as some people make it seem to be. Funny cause I used to be one of those people. I have no idea what I was thinking
rolleyes.gif
. I still think OS X Leopard is the superior OS on the market though. Note on the market. Linux is cool and all but to get everything in your PC you might have to do a lot of work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE