Hacking Beginner question about backing up CFW 3DS

CaptainKoloth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the dumb question but I have been combing the forums for hours trying to understand the answer to this question and am still confused.

I have a CFW N3DS XL. Everything works well and is in good shape. However, I’m concerned that if one day it were to be stolen/damaged/dropped in water etc I would lose the large number of software titles I have on it. I’m trying to understand how I can make a backup of the software contents now such that if, in the future, I somehow lose access to this 3DS, I can completely restore it on a different 3DS using the backups. I am confused because most of the guides I see assume you have the other 3DS handy to do a system transfer, and also a lot focus specifically on saved games. Also, since the software on both the PC and 3DS side for file manipulation is constantly changing, everyone tells you to do something slightly different.

The understanding I’ve come to so far is this. This may be completely wrong:
1. Back up NAND using GM9. This will create a file on the micro SD card.
2. Back up tickets using GM9. This will also create a file on the SD.
3. Copy the entire contents of the SD card to a PC.

From there if I ever need to restore my data to another 3DS, I’ll have everything I need; key files like movable.sed are embedded in the NAND backup and can be extracted using certain PC programs, and all the software titles are in the Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD. Tickets can be recovered from either my ticket backup or faketik.

Is this an accurate anything or do I need to do more/other things? Sorry again for the dumb question.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the dumb question but I have been combing the forums for hours trying to understand the answer to this question and am still confused.

I have a CFW N3DS XL. Everything works well and is in good shape. However, I’m concerned that if one day it were to be stolen/damaged/dropped in water etc I would lose the large number of software titles I have on it. I’m trying to understand how I can make a backup of the software contents now such that if, in the future, I somehow lose access to this 3DS, I can completely restore it on a different 3DS using the backups. I am confused because most of the guides I see assume you have the other 3DS handy to do a system transfer, and also a lot focus specifically on saved games. Also, since the software on both the PC and 3DS side for file manipulation is constantly changing, everyone tells you to do something slightly different.

The understanding I’ve come to so far is this. This may be completely wrong:
1. Back up NAND using GM9. This will create a file on the micro SD card.
2. Back up tickets using GM9. This will also create a file on the SD.
3. Copy the entire contents of the SD card to a PC.

From there if I ever need to restore my data to another 3DS, I’ll have everything I need; key files like movable.sed are embedded in the NAND backup and can be extracted using certain PC programs, and all the software titles are in the Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD. Tickets can be recovered from either my ticket backup or faketik.

Is this an accurate anything or do I need to do more/other things? Sorry again for the dumb question.
U can't restore a nand backup to a different 3ds

D

Deleted User

Idk but i'm pretty sure you can't, you can't use a nand backup in a different 3DS. Idk tho, wait for a better answer.

Edit: Ninja'd

CaptainKoloth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me rephrase, I know you can’t do that, but my understanding is there are certain files in the NAND backup that can be extracted that I can use. I have no problem re-hacking a new 3DS to get CFW on it, I’m more concerned with making sure I don’t lose any of my software titles.

D

Deleted User

Pretty sure the only way is to backup your CIA's and then the saves too, and inject them on a new 3DS.

D

Deleted User

You can use any cia you find on the 'net. Backup your saves with JKSM and you'll be good.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nope it's 1 at a time
Plain and simply WRONG!
  • Search for titles on [A:]SYSNAND SD
  • Select multiple .tmd files by pressing (L) for each title you want to backup
  • Press (A)→TMD file options…Build CIA (standard)
You will need enough space on the SD. If your SD is filled more than 50%, proceed by selecting only a subset of titles that will fit in the free space and move the resulting .CIA files to a computer, then select the next games.

Repeat the process for [2:] TWLN for backing up DSiWare.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: Quantumcat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the available free space on the SD card is less than the total amount of data for the titles found in Nintendo 3DS folder but you have at least 4 GB of free space, you can dump the CIAs and [decrypted] SAV files (does not include extdata) in a single run using the CTRTransfer (Type D9) - Rebuild 3DS Database (Full).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y