Beginner Luma3DS questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by drmarvin, Aug 22, 2018.

1. drmarvin
    OP

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Hello 3DS experts. I have no experience with any DS products, but I have experience with modding in general.

I enjoy the portable nature of the 3DS. Nicely smaller than my Switch, plus something new to play with. I’m looking to buy a used system and I’m hoping to install a CFW like Luma3DS. It looks like I may need a legit game (kind of like WiiU), but I’m not sure.

Any possible suggestions of a maximum firmware to buy, game which should be bought (if necessary), and anything else to watch for would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Honestly it doesn't matter what OFW you get your 3DS on because there are methods that aren't effected by them.
    If you are looking for a free method, then you need to be aiming for anything 11.3 and below. (currently) I suggest checking out The Guide for more information.
    But if you happen to get on above 11.3, then you just need to use one of these methods to hack it
    NTRBoot: I always suggest this method because you get an easy method that can be used over and over, plus a DS flashcart for DS games.
    seedminer: An easy and cheap method that still currently works on 11.8 and requires buying a DSiware game. Does run the risk of being patched, but hasn't happened yet.
    DSiware: Requires another already hacked system and buying a DSiware game. Can't be patched through OFW updates.
    Hardmod: Requires soldering and some extra parts. Best method if you know what you are doing and can't be patched.

NFates, zacchi4k and Hunter like this.
  3. drmarvin
    OP

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    That is extremely helpful. Thanks so much for your great detailed response. Hopefully I can find one under 11.3, but the game purchase option isn’t too bad either. All the options will let me install games then?

4. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Yes since for all of them the end result is a console with CFW

5. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    if you get one on 11.3 or below you can use soundhax, which is completly free, that said, recent special edition consoles and every single new 2DS XL wont come with it

6. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    You may find one below 11.3, but you are more than likely only going to find 11.4+. It depends on how long it's been on the shelf. All options allow you to install games with the help of a CFW.

7. drmarvin
    OP

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Thanks so much for the help. I know they were very basic newbie questions. Not everyone is so forthcoming with help. Cheers to all!!

8. drmarvin
    OP

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    So to conclude, my finding a unit on 10.x is sort of a jackpot? Is $50-60 for the easily modded system a reasonable price?

9. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Yes a 3DS on <11.4 for that price is an extremely good deal. Just make sure it's completely working before buying it!

10. drmarvin
    OP

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Having never touched a DS product before, what are the things to look for? Obviously things like a cracked screen, buttons and controls, and the slot. What is the best way to check controls and slot? Anything else to look for?

11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Always check the hindges to see if they cracked or extremely loose. Check to make sure the trigger buttons work consistently. Check to see if the 3D slider works properly (unless it's a 2DS/2DSXL.)
    These are the most common issues I can think of when dealing with the 3DS

12. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker 8 Bit Natsumi

Aug 6, 2018
    United States
    N/A
    i got a 3ds still on 9.0 firmware still in the box a triforce one only opened once.

13. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    when it comes to 3DS consoles, its a matter of knowing what model you want and making sure the touch screen isnt scratched and the circle pad isnt too worn out (though both can be easily fixed, specially on a 2DS)

14. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker 8 Bit Natsumi

Aug 6, 2018
    United States
    N/A
    i make console mods for a living i repaired a old 3ds control stick, replaced shoulder buttons and replaced the touch screen with a new one. i do this as a side job and for a few friends
    i even did custom shell jobs those are very popular but that is for the first gen models

15. drmarvin
    OP

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Thanks for all the help. I got it up and running. Haven’t gotten Wifi going yet, since it seems to only do WEP automatically, but others are supposed to be possible. Since it’s on 10.5, is there any way to try to upgrade? I hear that the latest firmware kills Luma3DS.

It’s doesn’t look like there is an official way to upgrade offline (except with certain carts), but is there something less official?

16. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    Luma's latest release fixes 11.8 compatibility issues.

Last edited by NFates, Aug 24, 2018
  17. drmarvin
    OP

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Excellent. Then tomorrow’s project is getting Internet working! Thanks for all the help. I’m having a blast with this.

18. drmarvin
    OP

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Thanks for all the help. I’m all set. Everything seems to be working well and correctly. Cheers all