Hacking Question Been out of the Switch Scene for past 8+ months- am on 4.1 and have SX, what do you recommend?

Joe Battams

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all, per post title, I've been out of the switch scene for about 8+ months, just around when TE launched SX OS 2.0. I've been looking through the forums, and am staggered by the options now on offer! I'm on 4.1, and would like to keep that way if possible (can you have an emuNAND on the latest firmware version?). Also, know there is Atmosphere and Renix, but not sure if these are better or worse...

I went through the process of upgrading without burning fuses (simple method) before- so am happy to update base console to latest firmware if I don't have to burn fuses.

Sorry for being a noob, what is the 'recommended'/ most common hack/ backup loader currently. I really struggled before to find patches for games, so if there is an easier way of finding updates, that'd be great.

Oh, and I'm un-banned and would like to keep it that way (even if it means staying in aeroplane mode!) :-)

Many Thanks!

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
Moving to Atmosphere if you don't need XCI is probably the best thing you can do. Get the sys-clk modules with sig patches and get your self onto a FAT32 SDCard. For backups, XCI to NSP converters or just getting NSP's (or using GCDUMPTOOL) to get them works too. (I do NOT recommend pirating games even if you stay offline.)

EDIT, UNRELATED: Holy shite, Joined 2013, first post ever for your account is this. much respect.

Joe Battams

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Haha, yeah I'm a lurker on quite a few forums of different things! Especially reddit! Thanks- will check out what you mentioned :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So can I stay on 4.10 and have the latest version as emunand, or should I just update the console? Thanks!

redmagejosh

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Haha, yeah I'm a lurker on quite a few forums of different things! Especially reddit! Thanks- will check out what you mentioned :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So can I stay on 4.10 and have the latest version as emunand, or should I just update the console? Thanks!

You can update you nand without burning fuses by using ChoiDujour

PRAGMA

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Downgrade to 4.0.0 and install Atmosphere, get rid of SX OS and wait for Deja Vu
(The downgrade to 4.0.0 is specific to your system, since your fuse count would be 5 since your on 4.1.0, you are able to safely downgrade to 4.0.0, if you update and burn more fuses, your downgradability changes.)
Regardless I always recommend staying on the lowest firmware version as possible

Last edited by PRAGMA,

Joe Battams

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so now i'm confused- yeah was trying to stay on the lowest firmware possible, and was thinking then have emunand as the highest firmware- dont know if that's possible? If i were to do what you suggest @PRAGMA, then loads of games wouldn't work surely as they need later firmware versions? Cheers

PRAGMA

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Ok, so now i'm confused- yeah was trying to stay on the lowest firmware possible, and was thinking then have emunand as the highest firmware- dont know if that's possible? If i were to do what you suggest @PRAGMA, then loads of games wouldn't work surely as they need later firmware versions? Cheers
Pretty sure with carts you can just bypass the "Firmware" restriction (With homebrew maybe but idk any), if not, then you would have to go the emunand route which can do a higher firmware but SX OS is the only one with EmuNAND rn

mav2010

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Personally, I would only use emunand if the switch has never been hacked.

The only important thing is to keep the fuses at lowest level possible, then you can always go back.

Just use ChoiDuJourNX to update the Switch to 8.0.1 and make sure to tick the “enable AutoRCM” box. Then you will not burn fuses and you can always go back to 4.1 later on and boot it natively.

Of course, don’t forget to update SXOS to latest version beforehand. Otherwise you will not be able to boot 8.0.1.

Last edited by mav2010,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?