One Scary Lady
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gallery_24102_883_6634.jpg

Customizable servers, long a benefit for PC players, are finally coming to console players too! "All active players out there playing on consoles today will now have the opportunity to customize their servers and set them up exactly how they want them to play." says Karl-Magnus Troedsson, CEO of DICE. No date or timeline has been announced yet for the change.

An expansion titled "Close Quarters" is coming in June. It contains four maps, ten weapons -- and as expected by the title, no vehicles. Two more expansions are planned beyond that: "Armored Kill", with larger maps, new vehicles and more weapons, and "End Game" with no additional details yet.

Update: To clarify, this is paid DLC, not free.

:arrow: Source: Battlefield.com

Reactions: 1 person

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming this isn't free DLC since I don't see the word "free" anywhere on the website, but it looks like it might be good! ^_^

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wait wtf is this shit those close quarter maps should not even be called battlefield because its not, how far can a series sink that they start making maps that are completely the opposite of what the game should be.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait wtf is this shit those close quarter maps should not even be called battlefield because its not, how far can a series sink that they start making maps that are completely the opposite of what the game should be.

Consoles fault. Battlefield won't return to what it once was until they make a pc exclusive one again.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's just EA showing off Frostbite 2's potential. They needed to reduce the map size to unleash the full potential of "high definition destruction"

raybattousai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a shame they decided to charge for the maps this time around. All maps had been free for their 2 previous titles (Bad Company 1 and 2)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a bit late, but hey, it's the thought that counts. It would definitely be pretty cool if other developers followed their lead.

paulmikeybarker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice move EA/DICE!
DLC sounds cool, hopefully free/very low price. Dedicated servers are just a fucking joy, couldn't bear CoD without them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't say dedicated. My guess is they will just allow custom options to be set, but still P2P.
They are rental servers for the general public, no p2p crap here

MrDiesel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice move EA/DICE!
DLC sounds cool, hopefully free/very low price. Dedicated servers are just a fucking joy, couldn't bear CoD without them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't say dedicated. My guess is they will just allow custom options to be set, but still P2P.
They are rental servers for the general public, no p2p crap here

Okay! Then that's great! :D Thanks for clarifying that.

Reactions: 1 person

paulmikeybarker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did a bit more digging around on this and all I can come up with is this snippet

The trailer for Close Quarters will be coming out next week, so keep your eyes here for more information concerning Battlefield 3 DLC. Console players are also getting a new feature, rented servers. Console players will now be able to have their own servers, so playing games with friends and clan-mates will be easier then ever before. PS3 players will also get these Battlefield 3 DLC packs one week early

And a twitter post

From @zh1nt0 = "A fully integrated rent-a-server program for console players will be available. No ETA"

Oh and there should be an ETA on the patch by the end of next week aparently
And I would also put money on the DLC being the usual 1200M$......gotta milk the cash cow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1