Battery life per model?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Kanemura, Jul 25, 2010.

Jul 25, 2010

Battery life per model? by Kanemura at 5:46 PM (1,780 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Kanemura
    OP

Newcomer Kanemura Member

United States
    I have decided on getting the SC2, and will be ordering soon. My question for all of you fine folks is this. Does the battery life differ per DS model? I currently have a DSLite, but I'm curious to the playtime one other models as well. I may upgrade the the XL, but I'm still not 100% sure.

2. riverchen

Member riverchen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, DSi and XL have a longer battery legenth than DSL, so it goes DSphat----->DSL----->DSi----->DSiXL

3. PeregrinFig

Member PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

United States
    I use mine with my DS Phat (it's all I have [​IMG] ) and the battery lasts about 4 hours while using the GBA emulator, and the average 6 or so when playing DS games. You should get more than that on an XL, as they have longer battery life in general, but regardless, the GBA emulator will drain your battery quite a bit faster than DS games.

4. riverchen

United States
    As for why, NDS games are just running on the ds' CPU, if i'm not mistaken. The Gba emu is running on the supercard's which is draining your battery.

5. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
  6. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Nice to know some1 found my post [​IMG]

7. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The DSL actually has the best battery life of all the DS series and the DSi has the worst.

8. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Not stricly true - it depends on brightness level you use, although you're right that the DSi is more worse than the DSLite

Lowest Level: DSPhat (6-10hrs) < DSi (9-14Hrs) < DS XL (13-17Hrs) < DSLite (15-19hrs)
    Highest Level: DSi (3-4hrs) < DS XL (4-5hrs) < DSLite (5-8hrs) < DSPhat (6-10hrs)

@ Kanemura: IF you DO happen to get a DS XL - any chance you could do one (or more) of the suggested 'tests' in my post.
    It would be nice to add results for the other DS systems for others to know - Thanks

9. riverchen

United States
    Oh, never knew that, thanks!

10. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well I guess you got me there [​IMG] , but overall I'd prefer the DSlite since I never play any DS on the highest level of brightness.

11. PeregrinFig

Member PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

United States
    That's continuous play. Also, note that my battery probably dies faster than the specs say it should. I've been using it since December of 2005, so I'm sure it's been drained and recharged well over the 500 times or so it takes to start hurting the maximum life.

12. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Well IMHO I don't think that too bad - You're currently on the lower limit of battery life (6hrs) when playing DS2 + ROM, & based on my tests I 'lost' about 40mins between that & running a commercial (shop brought) game (on highest brightness)
    For a battery that's 5 years old - I don't think that too bad

13. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    That doesn't really work. The DS Phat's highest is equivalent to the DS lite's second-lowest. But if you get one of the newer DS Phats, you can fix it to have 4 brightness levels. And at the highest, I'm pretty sure the DS gets a short life of 1-2 hours (and this is based on a brand-new DSPhat. For an old one, it'd probably live for less than half an hour).
    Oh, and I can do the DSi XL tests for you (for that "How much do Flashcards affect DS battery life?" thread).

14. Kanemura
    OP

Newcomer Kanemura Member

United States
    Thank you all, this has been a ton of help!

15. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    ?? How ?? - do you mean newer DSPhats have different brightness levels now (somehow I don't think so) or do you mean when you say 'you can fix it to have...' do you actually mean by doing a MOD (hardware &/or Software) to the DSPhat to allow brightness control

My info is based on Standard Non-modified DS's (direct from Nintendo specifications) & not meant to relate to any modified ones

16. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I'm talking about FlashMe'd V5 DS Phats. Because the highest brightness on a DS Phat is actually equivalent to the 1st or 2nd brightness on a DS lite.

Although I heard somewhere that there are non-FlashMe'd DS Phats with brightness levels.

17. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Ok - thought it might've been something like that (I vaguely remember something about modding & lights - but thinking back THAT might've been for a Gameboy)