Hacking Battery life per model?

Kanemura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have decided on getting the SC2, and will be ordering soon. My question for all of you fine folks is this. Does the battery life differ per DS model? I currently have a DSLite, but I'm curious to the playtime one other models as well. I may upgrade the the XL, but I'm still not 100% sure.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use mine with my DS Phat (it's all I have
frown.gif
) and the battery lasts about 4 hours while using the GBA emulator, and the average 6 or so when playing DS games. You should get more than that on an XL, as they have longer battery life in general, but regardless, the GBA emulator will drain your battery quite a bit faster than DS games.

riverchen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for why, NDS games are just running on the ds' CPU, if i'm not mistaken. The Gba emu is running on the supercard's which is draining your battery.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
PeregrinFig said:
frown.gif
) and the battery lasts about 4 hours while using the GBA emulator, and the average 6 or so when playing DS gamesWas that continuous play (I guess it wasn't just left 'idling') or did you switch on/off between games ??
(FYI - Ninty battery specs for DSPhat is 6-10hours 'according to software')

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jul 25 2010, 05:59 PM) Do a search for CannonFodder's thread....edit: see http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=240...p;#entry2985715
Nice to know some1 found my post
laugh.gif

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
riverchen said:
Well, DSi and XL have a longer battery legenth than DSL, so it goes DSphat----->DSL----->DSi----->DSiXL

The DSL actually has the best battery life of all the DS series and the DSi has the worst.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
hullo8d said:
riverchen said:
Well, DSi and XL have a longer battery legenth than DSL, so it goes DSphat----->DSL----->DSi----->DSiXL
The DSL actually has the best battery life of all the DS series and the DSi has the worst.
Not stricly true - it depends on brightness level you use, although you're right that the DSi is more worse than the DSLite

Lowest Level: DSPhat (6-10hrs) < DSi (9-14Hrs) < DS XL (13-17Hrs) < DSLite (15-19hrs)
Highest Level: DSi (3-4hrs) < DS XL (4-5hrs) < DSLite (5-8hrs) < DSPhat (6-10hrs)

@ Kanemura: IF you DO happen to get a DS XL - any chance you could do one (or more) of the suggested 'tests' in my post.
It would be nice to add results for the other DS systems for others to know - Thanks

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I guess you got me there
wink.gif
, but overall I'd prefer the DSlite since I never play any DS on the highest level of brightness.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
PeregrinFig said:
frown.gif
) and the battery lasts about 4 hours while using the GBA emulator, and the average 6 or so when playing DS games
Was that continuous play (I guess it wasn't just left 'idling') or did you switch on/off between games ??
(FYI - Ninty battery specs for DSPhat is 6-10hours 'according to software')

That's continuous play. Also, note that my battery probably dies faster than the specs say it should. I've been using it since December of 2005, so I'm sure it's been drained and recharged well over the 500 times or so it takes to start hurting the maximum life.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
PeregrinFig said:
That's continuous play. Also, note that my battery probably dies faster than the specs say it should. I've been using it since December of 2005, so I'm sure it's been drained and recharged well over the 500 times or so it takes to start hurting the maximum life.
Well IMHO I don't think that too bad - You're currently on the lower limit of battery life (6hrs) when playing DS2 + ROM, & based on my tests I 'lost' about 40mins between that & running a commercial (shop brought) game (on highest brightness)
For a battery that's 5 years old - I don't think that too bad

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CannonFoddr said:
Highest Level: DSi (3-4hrs) < DS XL (4-5hrs) < DSLite (5-8hrs) < DSPhat (6-10hrs)
It would be nice to add results for the other DS systems for others to know - Thanks
That doesn't really work. The DS Phat's highest is equivalent to the DS lite's second-lowest. But if you get one of the newer DS Phats, you can fix it to have 4 brightness levels. And at the highest, I'm pretty sure the DS gets a short life of 1-2 hours (and this is based on a brand-new DSPhat. For an old one, it'd probably live for less than half an hour).
Oh, and I can do the DSi XL tests for you (for that "How much do Flashcards affect DS battery life?" thread).

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
YayMii said:
CannonFoddr said:
That doesn't really work....... But if you get one of the newer DS Phats, you can fix it to have 4 brightness levels.
?? How ?? - do you mean newer DSPhats have different brightness levels now (somehow I don't think so) or do you mean when you say 'you can fix it to have...' do you actually mean by doing a MOD (hardware &/or Software) to the DSPhat to allow brightness control

My info is based on Standard Non-modified DS's (direct from Nintendo specifications) & not meant to relate to any modified ones

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CannonFoddr said:
YayMii said:
CannonFoddr said:
That doesn't really work....... But if you get one of the newer DS Phats, you can fix it to have 4 brightness levels.
?? How ?? - do you mean newer DSPhats have different brightness levels now (somehow I don't think so) or do you mean when you say 'you can fix it to have...' do you actually mean by doing a MOD (hardware &/or Software) to the DSPhat to allow brightness control

My info is based on Standard Non-modified DS's (direct from Nintendo specifications) & not meant to relate to any modified ones
I'm talking about FlashMe'd V5 DS Phats. Because the highest brightness on a DS Phat is actually equivalent to the 1st or 2nd brightness on a DS lite.

Although I heard somewhere that there are non-FlashMe'd DS Phats with brightness levels.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
YayMii said:
I'm talking about FlashMe'd V5 DS Phats. Because the highest brightness on a DS Phat is actually equivalent to the 1st or 2nd brightness on a DS lite.
Ok - thought it might've been something like that (I vaguely remember something about modding & lights - but thinking back THAT might've been for a Gameboy)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F