Battery Life - Defect?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Jay L, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Jay L
    OP

Jay L Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2013
    United States
    Hi,
    I'll try to keep this to the point. I have one of those 'black friday' New 3DS consoles and the battery life is absolutely abysmal compared to other older 3ds systems I have‎. For example on sleep mode my New 3DS is lucky to get 8 hours while my original 3ds xl is getting as long as three days I'm not 100% sure if the issue if just occurring in sleep mode, as thats easiest to test, or there is an identical proportionate difference while running games. Also they're both on luma cfw running 11.2 (haven't upgraded yet).

This can't possibly be normal can it? Before I drop money on a new battery I wanted to:bortz2: reach out here to make sure the battery life I'm experiencing actually is abnormal.

Thanks‎

Last edited by Jay L, Mar 8, 2017
    JosephNeale likes this.
  2. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Not sure exactly how long my battery lasts in sleep mode, but i know for sure it's a lot longer than 8 hours. Do u happen to have a supercard dstwo? I ask because as awesome as that flashcart is, it drained my dsixl battery very quickly, even in sleep mode. Just recently tried it on my 3ds and it does the same thing. Switched to my acekard2i. The features of the ds2 are great, but the battery drain is ridiculous. I believe it's because it has its own little processor on the cart. If you have something similar, that may be the issue.

MajinCubyan likes this.
  3. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

GBAtemp Patron
    MajinCubyan is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    Do you leave the wifi communication on? Cause that can drain the battery quickly. With it off my n3ds can last a good 24 or so hours. Also, is it overclocked?

4. Jay L
    OP

Jay L Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2013
    United States
    Wifi is on but it's also on for the other systems that are getting multiple times the battery life of my N3DS; however overclocked is on--I'd assumed the overclocked setting was somehow necessary for the system to take advantage of the extra power in the N3DS,‎ is this not the case?

Is the overclocked mode pushing it harder than the a N3DS on stock firmware would normally run?

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yes (assuming the paused app wouldn't request high speed mode by itself) - despite the name, no 3DS-compatible console has a "sleep mode" in which the CPU is slowed down, all the power savings come from reducing the workload and cutting the sound and video

By the way, 24 hours without wifi isn't much: the official spec is 3 days with!

MajinCubyan likes this.
  6. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

GBAtemp Patron
    MajinCubyan is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    Thats fair. I say that cause usually if I play my n3ds, I usually play for hours and hours with little break between. If I don't touch it much, it'll last a good few days. Or maybe I have a bad battery... o3O

7. ieatducks4655

ieatducks4655 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2017
    New Zealand
    Hastings,New Zealand
    that seems really odd because I got my n3ds a few months or so after they released and mine doesn't have that problem the only time it did that was when I used my r4 flashcart on it but that was about it