Battery Growing/Swelling/Getting Larger

Amtraks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So about a month ago I've homebrewed my v1 Switch using fusee-hekate method. From this time I've noticed my console back plate seemingly having a growing bump/swell, it isn't noticeable from afar but to the feel and close sight-line inspection a curve is noticeable.
How I care for my Switch is to always have it in its emuMMC state and never turn it off as the injector process is annoying for me.
Is having the Hacked Switch on sleep mode for a long time causing the battery to grow/swell?

Important information

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You don't want to leave a swelling battery in your device, it could potentially explode or leak and damage stuff, but even if not it's gonna bend shit out of shape

Reactions: Hayato213

Amtraks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You don't want to leave a swelling battery in your device, it could potentially explode or leak and damage stuff, but even if not it's gonna bend shit out of shape
Alright then Thank You for the advisory. But if I do change my battery, will the Switch act up or be flagged for a ban?

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, and one more question.
Is the way I am handling my Switch, keeping it on sleep for long periods, appropriate or should I stop?
If the battery is still swelling after a replacement you need to decide on if you want to risk your home burning down or not and that's not a joke. All you need to do is google it.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Remember to throw it immediately outside of house, the best would be to give it to utilization. Be careful when you will be dismounting it, don't charge it, don't leave it under sunlight.

Reactions: shaunj66

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LiPo battery "explosions" aren't really explosions per say, just a dead short on the cell that causes it to heat up very quickly. That said I've abused plenty of LiPo packs in RC world and never had one "explode". Even the damaged ones have simply self discharged. You do want to replace it as it is on its way out and will find a way to extricate itself from the Switch casing. If you're lucky it will just bend the back cover and heat shielding. If you're not lucky it will crack the display. Once removed you need to get the voltage to 0. After you've done that you can safely toss it. There are many ways to do this, a bucket of salt water, a small resistor across the + and -, or an automotive 12v light bulb will work. Once the battery has no volts it's perfectly safe. The fires come from "discharged" cells that still have 3 or more volts. This is plenty to start a fire if shorted, but not enough to power devices.

Deetlemore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be careful not to puncture the battery when removing it. I'm not sure if they're all like this, but at least on my V1 Switch the battery was held in place by some NASA-grade adhesive/tape. Normally I'd just heat it, but I wasn't too keep on intentionally heating an old lithium battery, so I poured some 91% isopropyl alcohol into the battery tray and let it soak for half an hour. That softened the adhesive enough for me to get a pry tool under the side and gently peel it out.

Maybe I was just being paranoid, but after having a lithium battery vent on me a few years ago (probably due to a small puncture), I handle them delicately and have somewhere to toss it if something goes awry.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
No, you are not paranoid. That's the correct way to handle them. They are dangerous as long as there is charge in them. And even without a charge you don't want to breathe whatever is in them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?