Batch files to control internet time...

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by dmonkey21, Jan 20, 2010.

Jan 20, 2010
  1. dmonkey21
    OP

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ok so here is the deal: I have been using an HP Mini 110 netbook and have pimped it out with Windows 7, Windows XP, Ubuntu NBR, and OS X Leopard. Everything runs great, except for a glitch with the times: When I switch from Linux to Windows or OS X to Windows, the time is messed up (ie. if it says 5:04 PM in OS X, when I reboot to Windows it goes to something like 8:04 AM). Now this isn't really a problem, as I can just go in and update the time from an internet time server like time-a.nist.gov in each operating system, but this is getting to be a MAJOR hassle every time I switch OS's.

So, I was wondering if there was any way to automate this with a batch command file (I know in Windows this would obviously be a .bat file, and in linux I think you can run any text file in terminal, but I am unfamiliar with OS X, would it be possible through that thing Applescript?)

If I can just figure out what commands in each OS would allow me to update the time this way, I know how I can make them run at startup, or at least just pin them to the desktop of each OS.

I'm not even sure this is possible in all OS's, but I've had little luck on google and any help would be greatly apprectiated.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    While I probably could drum something up in batch file format I would be more inclined to fix it- as you say it is hours different rather than an arbitrary time I suspect the location settings in one of your operating systems says you are in a different time zone and adjusts accordingly (probably against an internet server like you mention) so sort that and you should sort your problem.

3. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Don't you wear a wrist watch. Simple.

4. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    hmmm, well I don't believe this is the case, because although the times are wrong when I boot up I am able to fix them by updating from a time server, and I use the same time servers and the same location on all OS's (The OS's all SAY they are automatically updating through the time server under settings, but they never seem to until I update them manually) Still, I will check to make sure I have all the settings correct.

UPDATE: Ok I just checked and the settings in all OS's are correct. However I have looked more carefully at how it actually happens too: I started in Windows XP, with the correct time (10:30 AM) and restarted into OS X, which also had the correct time when it booted up. However, without changing any settings in either OS, when I restarted back to Windows the time was 7 hours later when I booted up (5:30 PM), and I needed to go into date and time settings, internet time, and update to fix it. So, I'm not entirely sure what the problem is but I would imagine that it has something to do with the fact that OS X was never intended to run on a pc? Anyway, if anyone knows the command line functions for updating internet time in Windows I think this will solve all my problems.

5. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    IIRC this was a common problem with Windows / OS X dual boot...there was a fix you need to install in OSX...try to google it

6. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    hmmm thanks I have tried google and I can't seem to find anything like that. Do you have any more information?

EDIT: Wow nvm I found it first try I have no idea how I've missed this the whole time thanks for your help I am gonna try it now [​IMG]