Bang for buck?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by BiscuitCookie, Oct 15, 2010.

Oct 15, 2010

Bang for buck? by BiscuitCookie at 7:48 PM (2,406 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. BiscuitCookie
    OP

Member BiscuitCookie GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Do you guys think we are getting a good bang for buck with the 3ds's hardware?

Or will it be more like a price screw over like the wii. At least i consider the Wii overpriced.

So I am kinda afraid to buy it when it comes out.

2. tijntje_7

Member tijntje_7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I don't think it's the best you can get for a mobile device of the 3DS's (probable) price range...
    But assuming that it's 300 Euros, err..
    I don't know really ;P
    I'm sure, that it'll be at least worth it for buying [​IMG]

3. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    we'll have to wait, because we'll only know for sure when we get our hands on it.
    anyway, I think it's worth it. 3D tech is a big step forward in gaming so yea.

4. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    I think Wii was fairly priced. I'm more worried about how much the game is going to cost.

5. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I saw the title and thought you were a one dollar prostitute. I entered the thread.

I think that it's a tad over priced, but they gotta make some profit. It will go down in price in the first year.

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Unlike other companies, Nintendo never takes a loss on the sale of their systems. Everything they sell makes a profit right from the get-go, not just the games. So yeah, the price may seem steep, but that glasses-free 3D screen can't be cheap to produce, so it's likely where most of the cost comes from.

7. BiscuitCookie
    OP

Member BiscuitCookie GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Well I mostly got this feeling after there statement that they made it 300 $ because of the positive reactions and believe that people will buy it anyway or something along those lines.

8. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Wii overpriced? You crazy [​IMG]

I guess it alright, but I doubt it be that much [​IMG]

9. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How is it overpriced in the first place? Its a next generation handheld, the psp and pspgo costed just a little bit less, I mean Original launch price for the psp bundle( u had to get the bundle) was 250 wasnt it? 3DS is next gen and offers way more than any gaming console yet. Its the successor to the 2nd most sold gaming console and best selling handheld the DS. It has backwards compatibility and a glasses free 3D screen, I mean if you look at it in the 3D market its a bargain compared to other glasses free 3D crap you could buy. I think poeple just got spoiled by the DS' cheap price and the wii's and liked to complain how outdated everything was about the graphics and crap, and now nintendo brings an upto date handheld and everybody bitches about the price. If you think its too expensive don't buy it and wait for it to get cheap, meanwhile everyone else will enjoy their 3DS before you do.
    EDIT: The 3DS to the DS is like how ps3 succeeded ps2... everybody thought it was expensive as hell in the first place but everybody realized it was worth the price and those who didn't waited it out till the ps3 got cheap.

10. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    It all comes down to what else can it do.

Just 3d games? I am not thinking that is going to be automatically a selling point.

11. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Considering the 3DS offers technology not found in any other handheld device, I think it's fair for Nintendo to aim high. Of coarse the question of whether it's worth the cost, will have to wait until we actually play the games, and reach a solid conclusion. I'm interested in the games, movies, and the ability to take 3D pictures.

12. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I think what we'll see is that Nintendo will charge whatever price they want for the 3DS then 2-3 months before the PSP2 is out, they'll drop the 3DS a minimum of $50 or $50 below the price of the PSP2, whichever is lower.

May be worth waiting the 5-6 months for that (PSP2 is rumored to be released in fall 2011)

13. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    I think you'll have to wait until Sony announces the PSP2 (first), and then wait for their price-point. Sony said the PS3 was a good deal at $600, and that while people might have to save for a few paychecks, the price was reasonable. Now you can get a 160gb PS3 slim for $299.99, so that business model obviously didn't work out for them. If the PSP Go launched at $249.99, I'd imagine the PSP2 to be somewhere around $400.

And don't think Nintendo will drop their prices immediately. They waited a very long time before dropping prices on the Wii, because it was still selling. Just because their competitors put a more powerful machine, doesn't mean they need to drop their prices. As long as the 3DS sells well, Nintendo controls the price everyone has to pay. I just hope Sony doesn't blatantly copy Nintendo with the PSP2, like they did with the Sony Move.

14. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Nah, I doubt it. The only thing that got out of Sony's press conference was a one inch larger "HD" screen, and a touch panel on the back. We know it won't be dual screen. We know that. Sony has publicly stated that they believe 3D belongs on the consoles. And it's not going to have two touch panels. rest assured, they're trying to be somewhat original.

15. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The wii was never overpriced, quit smoking crack cocaine

16. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    3D belongs on consoles? what? Like real 3D, like the 3DS will be? Cause wouldn't you need a special TV and stuff for that? 3D without glasses on a portable system will be great.

17. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    The PS3 has 3D.

Technically those so called "3DTVs" that you're supposed to need are simply HDTVs with a high refresh rate. They flash incredibly quickly between the two angles of the image, and then use expensive powered shutter glasses to produce a 3D effect.

Yes, real 3D, which you need a 3DTV (Or a really good HDTV) and expensive battery operated glasses for. But 3D nevertheless.

18. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    thou kinda expensive it what do you expect it has 3d thing

19. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Wii overpriced?
    The wii is a good bang for the buck though.

20. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Loool I had this very thought when I read the title...but alas..
    AND Wii IS NOT OVER-PRICED.